May 18, 2011, 7:28 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Orioles infielder Cesar Izturis is scheduled to undergo surgery within the next couple of days to “move the ulnar nerve in his right elbow” and could miss up to two months of action.
Izturis has already been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Brandon Snyder has already been recalled to provide depth in the veteran’s absence.
Izturis began complaining of numbness in his throwing elbow earlier this week and an examination Wednesday by a specialist in Baltimore revealed the need for a surgical procedure. It’s a tough bit of news, but he hasn’t been very active this year.
The 31-year-old was batting .192 with a .250 on-base percentage over just 29 plate appearances for the O’s. He’s played only 67 2/3 innings at shortstop, 9 1/3 innings at second base and one inning at third.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)