May 18, 2011, 7:28 PM EST
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Orioles infielder Cesar Izturis is scheduled to undergo surgery within the next couple of days to “move the ulnar nerve in his right elbow” and could miss up to two months of action.
Izturis has already been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Brandon Snyder has already been recalled to provide depth in the veteran’s absence.
Izturis began complaining of numbness in his throwing elbow earlier this week and an examination Wednesday by a specialist in Baltimore revealed the need for a surgical procedure. It’s a tough bit of news, but he hasn’t been very active this year.
The 31-year-old was batting .192 with a .250 on-base percentage over just 29 plate appearances for the O’s. He’s played only 67 2/3 innings at shortstop, 9 1/3 innings at second base and one inning at third.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40