May 18, 2011, 7:28 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Orioles infielder Cesar Izturis is scheduled to undergo surgery within the next couple of days to “move the ulnar nerve in his right elbow” and could miss up to two months of action.
Izturis has already been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Brandon Snyder has already been recalled to provide depth in the veteran’s absence.
Izturis began complaining of numbness in his throwing elbow earlier this week and an examination Wednesday by a specialist in Baltimore revealed the need for a surgical procedure. It’s a tough bit of news, but he hasn’t been very active this year.
The 31-year-old was batting .192 with a .250 on-base percentage over just 29 plate appearances for the O’s. He’s played only 67 2/3 innings at shortstop, 9 1/3 innings at second base and one inning at third.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)