May 18, 2011, 7:28 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Orioles infielder Cesar Izturis is scheduled to undergo surgery within the next couple of days to “move the ulnar nerve in his right elbow” and could miss up to two months of action.
Izturis has already been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Brandon Snyder has already been recalled to provide depth in the veteran’s absence.
Izturis began complaining of numbness in his throwing elbow earlier this week and an examination Wednesday by a specialist in Baltimore revealed the need for a surgical procedure. It’s a tough bit of news, but he hasn’t been very active this year.
The 31-year-old was batting .192 with a .250 on-base percentage over just 29 plate appearances for the O’s. He’s played only 67 2/3 innings at shortstop, 9 1/3 innings at second base and one inning at third.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 45
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)