May 18, 2011, 7:28 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Orioles infielder Cesar Izturis is scheduled to undergo surgery within the next couple of days to “move the ulnar nerve in his right elbow” and could miss up to two months of action.
Izturis has already been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Brandon Snyder has already been recalled to provide depth in the veteran’s absence.
Izturis began complaining of numbness in his throwing elbow earlier this week and an examination Wednesday by a specialist in Baltimore revealed the need for a surgical procedure. It’s a tough bit of news, but he hasn’t been very active this year.
The 31-year-old was batting .192 with a .250 on-base percentage over just 29 plate appearances for the O’s. He’s played only 67 2/3 innings at shortstop, 9 1/3 innings at second base and one inning at third.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)