May 18, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rasmus is out of the lineup again today.
Colby Rasmus missed his third straight game with an abdominal injury last night, but an ultrasound showed no structural damage and Matthew Leach of MLB.com reports that he “appears to be very close to a return to the starting lineup.”
According to Leach “he’s dealing with nothing more serious than a muscle strain in his midsection” and could be back in the Cardinals’ lineup as soon as tonight. Jon Jay has been filling in for Rasmus in center field.
Rasmus was one of my “breakout picks” for this season and was living up to the hype prior to the injury, hitting .305 with a .393 on-base percentage and .461 slugging percentage in 39 games, dramatically improving his walk rate and strikeout-to-walk ratio at age 24.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (129)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)