May 18, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rasmus is out of the lineup again today.
Colby Rasmus missed his third straight game with an abdominal injury last night, but an ultrasound showed no structural damage and Matthew Leach of MLB.com reports that he “appears to be very close to a return to the starting lineup.”
According to Leach “he’s dealing with nothing more serious than a muscle strain in his midsection” and could be back in the Cardinals’ lineup as soon as tonight. Jon Jay has been filling in for Rasmus in center field.
Rasmus was one of my “breakout picks” for this season and was living up to the hype prior to the injury, hitting .305 with a .393 on-base percentage and .461 slugging percentage in 39 games, dramatically improving his walk rate and strikeout-to-walk ratio at age 24.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)