May 18, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rasmus is out of the lineup again today.
Colby Rasmus missed his third straight game with an abdominal injury last night, but an ultrasound showed no structural damage and Matthew Leach of MLB.com reports that he “appears to be very close to a return to the starting lineup.”
According to Leach “he’s dealing with nothing more serious than a muscle strain in his midsection” and could be back in the Cardinals’ lineup as soon as tonight. Jon Jay has been filling in for Rasmus in center field.
Rasmus was one of my “breakout picks” for this season and was living up to the hype prior to the injury, hitting .305 with a .393 on-base percentage and .461 slugging percentage in 39 games, dramatically improving his walk rate and strikeout-to-walk ratio at age 24.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (76)