May 18, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rasmus is out of the lineup again today.
Colby Rasmus missed his third straight game with an abdominal injury last night, but an ultrasound showed no structural damage and Matthew Leach of MLB.com reports that he “appears to be very close to a return to the starting lineup.”
According to Leach “he’s dealing with nothing more serious than a muscle strain in his midsection” and could be back in the Cardinals’ lineup as soon as tonight. Jon Jay has been filling in for Rasmus in center field.
Rasmus was one of my “breakout picks” for this season and was living up to the hype prior to the injury, hitting .305 with a .393 on-base percentage and .461 slugging percentage in 39 games, dramatically improving his walk rate and strikeout-to-walk ratio at age 24.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)