May 18, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka was placed on the disabled list yesterday with an elbow injury and today the Red Sox announced that an MRI exam revealed “elbow tightness consistent with a UCL sprain and flexor mass strain.”
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that Matsuzaka will be re-examined again in two weeks, but UCL sprains often end up requiring Tommy John elbow surgery that would knock him out for 12-18 months.
For now there’s no reason to assume that Matsuzaka will need to go under the knife–and the Red Sox indicated to Speier that they’re relieved to have caught the problem relatively early–but he won’t be rejoining the rotation any time soon.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)