May 18, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez‘s stomach problems dating back to last season were finally diagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome last month and the Mariners’ center fielder has been activated from the disabled list after missing the first 41 games.
Gutierrez’s production suffered down the stretch last season, but even at less than full strength he almost can’t help but be a huge upgrade over what fill-ins Michael Saunders and Ryan Langerhans gave the Mariners in his absence. They combined to hit just .173 with a .556 OPS that ranks dead last in the league.
When he’s right Gutierrez is a .275 hitter with 20-homer power, 20-steal speed, and exceptional range in center field. He hit well while rehabbing in the minors, so the hope is that Gutierrez is finally healthy.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)