May 18, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez‘s stomach problems dating back to last season were finally diagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome last month and the Mariners’ center fielder has been activated from the disabled list after missing the first 41 games.
Gutierrez’s production suffered down the stretch last season, but even at less than full strength he almost can’t help but be a huge upgrade over what fill-ins Michael Saunders and Ryan Langerhans gave the Mariners in his absence. They combined to hit just .173 with a .556 OPS that ranks dead last in the league.
When he’s right Gutierrez is a .275 hitter with 20-homer power, 20-steal speed, and exceptional range in center field. He hit well while rehabbing in the minors, so the hope is that Gutierrez is finally healthy.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (93)