May 18, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Reporters are quoting anonymous scouts with more and more frequency, often substituting scouts’ opinions for actual analysis and conveniently using them to drive specific storylines.
All of which leads to some amusing series of events.
For instance, yesterday afternoon Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted:
And then last night, just hours later, this happened:
Not bad for a guy who “looks 40″ (and is actually 35).
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 109
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (110)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)