May 18, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Reporters are quoting anonymous scouts with more and more frequency, often substituting scouts’ opinions for actual analysis and conveniently using them to drive specific storylines.
All of which leads to some amusing series of events.
For instance, yesterday afternoon Jon Heyman of SI.com tweeted:
And then last night, just hours later, this happened:
Not bad for a guy who “looks 40″ (and is actually 35).
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (345)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)