Jorge Posada’s rift with Joe Girardi goes back years

May 18, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

Girardi Posada

That’s the report from Mark Feinsand of the Daily News, who says that there has been a significant rift between Jorge Posada and Joe Girardi going back to Girardi’s stint as a Yankees bench coach in 2005. Back then, Feinsand’s sources tell him, Posada and Girardi clashed when Posada ignored Girardi’s scouting reports of other teams and called his own game:

“Jorge would deviate from those plans all the time during games, which drove Joe nuts,” the source said. “Joe would call him out on it all the time, which drove Jorge mental.”

Reached for comment in 2015, Joe Girardi said this:

“I bear no grudge against Jorge Posada. He’s been very successful, and God bless him. God bless him. But I’ll tell something; I ain’t done too badly, myself. Uh, I manage a shopping mall down in Florence, Alabama. Yeah, it’s the number one mall in Colbert County. It’s number four in the state, so it’s not too bad, you know? Uh, I play golf several times a week, you know? But I’ll tell ya, if Jorge woulda listened to me, I’d still be up there in baseball. Still be doin’ baseball, you know… How ’bout that?”

1. halladaysbiceps - May 18, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I think they should fight it out MMA style for the good of the team. My money is on Girardi. Girardi would put a Chuck Norris type beating on that punk Posada.

2. cur68 - May 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM

2015? That sounds optimistic to me. Steinbrennars are not noted for their patience. I got 2013 and it’ll be a Piggly Wiggly in LA he’s managing.

• bobulated - May 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

They got Piggly Wiggly’s in LA now?

• cur68 - May 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Dunno. I’m a Canadian. First time I ever heard of Piggly Wiggly was in Driving Miss Daisy. I thought it was made up till last night when I saw that yesterdays batting lineups for the A’s-Angels’ game was brought to us by Piggly Wiggly. I was overjoyed to find out it was for real. Still am. I want to get a picture of myself outside of one.

• bobulated - May 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM

That’s bizarre that Piggly Wiggly would sponsor an A’s-Angels game; they’re a southeastern chain. I think the closest one to Cali might be in Texas or Oklahoma.

• jimbo1949 - May 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM

They’re in the Carolinas, also advertise on the Brewers and/or Twins games.

• miket5 - May 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I worked at a Piggly Wiggly when I was in high school. I’ve never seen one outside of Wisconsin

• bigdicktater - May 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM

cur68: you can probably go online and get an “I’m Big On The Pig!” t-shirt, complete with their logo. I’ve got one a mile away, I shop there all the time when I’m home. Best of everything!

• cur68 - May 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM

bigdicktater; Dude, thanks! I am so on it…

3. Paul Zummo - May 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I think you lapped out the last sentence from 2015 Joe Girardi: “Jorge Posada can kiss my ass in hell!”

4. ted1sheckler - May 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM

someone watched private parts this past weekend on G4….lol

• yankeesfanlen - May 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Jorge can kiss my ass in hell!

• yankeesfanlen - May 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Sorry for the repeat Zummo. Arrived tardy.

• Paul Zummo - May 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM

No problem. A scene that glorious cannot be repeated often enough.

5. pisano - May 18, 2011 at 9:35 AM

This all maybe true, but the bottom line is the guy was not hitting at all so Joe couldn’t keep him in there taking third strikes as he was. Hell, he was looking like he was afraid to swing the bat.

• Jonny 5 - May 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Yup, Joe seems to try to do what’s best for the team. I’m sure he has some constraints, more than most probably. I don’t think he does a bad job at all.

6. henryd3rd - May 18, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Posada had been a great hitting catcher most of his career and I never felt he called a great game. And he’ll never be confused with Pudge Rodriguez; but the talent on those Yankees teams was so superior to that of their competitors that one tended to overlook his flaws. Now that he’s no longer hitting with authority one can understand why Girardi was forced to pencil him in at the 9th spot and if he can’t hit he sits! He can always ask to be traded and I’m sure they’ll accommodate him or send home packing. Its a business and that’s why they pay him the big bucks. Jeter are you watching and listening?

7. yankeesfanlen - May 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM

As the most junior member of the collection of leftovers that is referred to as the “core four” (one of whom can still play the game!) Jorge still accepts the fact that his poop is not odoriferous.People who couldn’t see a faint genetic connection between him and Ty Cobb were always looking, with some justification, at rather gaudy avgs. for a catcher. Hardly on a plane with Yogi, but we take what we can get.
    Nota bene: Chris Dickerson had an RBI last night.

8. deathmonkey41 - May 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Jorge was an awful catcher- called a poor game and couldn’t throw out my grandmother. Look at the difference with Martin behind the plate. Not only would Jorge keep calling the same pitch until someone hits it, but he sets up dead center every time and just leans to the left or right depending. No wonder guys like Burnett didn’t like pitching to him. He’s got to stop living in the past and just be grateful someone is paying an barely average hitter that much money.

9. Charles Gates - May 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Stories about Jorge not getting along with others never came out when the Yankees were winning year after year with their team chemistry and veteran leadership and winning ways and tradition and focus and blah and blah and blah.

I’m not saying that club house chemistry has zero impact, but it seems more so that it’s the narrative that the media invents to explain why a team is either winning or losing.

• bobulated - May 18, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Team chemistry is only an issue when you’re not winning.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet