May 18, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
Brad Hawpe had the worst season of his career in 2010, signed a one-year deal with San Diego as a free agent, and hit just .098 through 18 games, at which point there was speculation about when the Padres would drop him and perhaps even call up top prospect Anthony Rizzo ahead of schedule.
Instead the Padres stuck with Hawpe as their primary first baseman and he’s responded by hitting .365 with a .984 OPS in 18 games dating back to mid-April. His overall numbers still aren’t pretty, but Hawpe has bought himself some more time in the lineup despite Rizzo hitting .374 with huge power at Triple-A.
Hawpe credited manager Bud Black for sticking with him, telling Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune:
Bud is a classy manager. He looks at the big picture. He didn’t hit the panic button when we were struggling early. He played the game. He understands it’s 162 games.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens if Hawpe is merely giving the Padres decent production come, say, July, because keeping Rizzo at Triple-A all season when he’s destroying the competition there seems unlikely. Hawpe could have a little trade value to contenders looking for cheap lineup help and he also has plenty of experience in the outfield corners, where Ryan Ludwick and Will Venable have both struggled.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)