May 18, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
His throw was late–on replay, Miguel Olivo‘s was already at the base when Alexi Casilla caught the ball, although there’s some question about whether Casilla’s foot blocked Olivo–but umpire Jerry Meals called him out.
Eric Wedge came storming out of the dugout, went face-to-face (or mustache-to-face) with Meals, and got himself ejected pretty quickly, although he was relatively subdued once tossed.
Instead of having the tying run in scoring position and the winning run on base with one out, the Mariners were down to their final out with a runner on first base and Adam Kennedy grounded out to end the game. At this point the Twins will take any help they can get, as the victory snapped their nine-game losing streak.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)