May 18, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
His throw was late–on replay, Miguel Olivo‘s was already at the base when Alexi Casilla caught the ball, although there’s some question about whether Casilla’s foot blocked Olivo–but umpire Jerry Meals called him out.
Eric Wedge came storming out of the dugout, went face-to-face (or mustache-to-face) with Meals, and got himself ejected pretty quickly, although he was relatively subdued once tossed.
Instead of having the tying run in scoring position and the winning run on base with one out, the Mariners were down to their final out with a runner on first base and Adam Kennedy grounded out to end the game. At this point the Twins will take any help they can get, as the victory snapped their nine-game losing streak.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8