May 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Alex Rodriguez will “have his surgically-repaired right hip checked out” after hitting coach Kevin Long noticed that he had difficulty making “a lower-body adjustment to bring balance back to his swing.”
Rodriguez told Carig that the hip isn’t causing any pain or discomfort, emphasizing that “it’s certainly no excuse for any poor performance.” There’s no date scheduled for the exam.
Instead he indicated that the Yankees simply want to be “very proactive” and stay “ahead of the curve” by having Rodriguez undergo semi-regularly checkups for the hip, on which he underwent surgery in 2009.
Rodriguez got off to a great start this season, went through an extended slump that dragged his batting average down to .242 and his OPS down to .781, and then followed up a two-homer game Tuesday with four hits yesterday to snap out of the funk in a big way.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)