May 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Alex Rodriguez will “have his surgically-repaired right hip checked out” after hitting coach Kevin Long noticed that he had difficulty making “a lower-body adjustment to bring balance back to his swing.”
Rodriguez told Carig that the hip isn’t causing any pain or discomfort, emphasizing that “it’s certainly no excuse for any poor performance.” There’s no date scheduled for the exam.
Instead he indicated that the Yankees simply want to be “very proactive” and stay “ahead of the curve” by having Rodriguez undergo semi-regularly checkups for the hip, on which he underwent surgery in 2009.
Rodriguez got off to a great start this season, went through an extended slump that dragged his batting average down to .242 and his OPS down to .781, and then followed up a two-homer game Tuesday with four hits yesterday to snap out of the funk in a big way.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)