May 19, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
It was a lousy way for Scott Downs‘ scoreless streak to end.
After David Pauley worked a scoreless top of the ninth for Seattle, the bottom of the inning with Jack Cust‘s accidental swinging bunt single down the third-base line with the shift on. After a sacrifice bunt and a groundout, Carlos Peguero hit a routine fly to center that Torii Hunter lost in the sun, giving the Mariners the game.
The loss was the Angels’ fifth in a row and dropped them under .500 to 22-23 on the season.
Hunter was making his first start of the year in center in place of Peter Bourjos. He made a terrific running catch at the wall in the seventh, robbing Peguero of a double.
The unlucky run against Downs was the first he’s given up in 12 appearances this season.
Haren, though, is the truly unfortunate one. He’s 0-2 with a 2.33 ERA over his last six starts. Twice during that stretch, Fernando Rodney has blown leads in relief of him.
Fister can sympathize. His record held at 2-4 as he lowered his ERA to 2.93.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)