May 19, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
It was a lousy way for Scott Downs‘ scoreless streak to end.
After David Pauley worked a scoreless top of the ninth for Seattle, the bottom of the inning with Jack Cust‘s accidental swinging bunt single down the third-base line with the shift on. After a sacrifice bunt and a groundout, Carlos Peguero hit a routine fly to center that Torii Hunter lost in the sun, giving the Mariners the game.
The loss was the Angels’ fifth in a row and dropped them under .500 to 22-23 on the season.
Hunter was making his first start of the year in center in place of Peter Bourjos. He made a terrific running catch at the wall in the seventh, robbing Peguero of a double.
The unlucky run against Downs was the first he’s given up in 12 appearances this season.
Haren, though, is the truly unfortunate one. He’s 0-2 with a 2.33 ERA over his last six starts. Twice during that stretch, Fernando Rodney has blown leads in relief of him.
Fister can sympathize. His record held at 2-4 as he lowered his ERA to 2.93.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (110)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)