May 19, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Rockies left fielder Carlos Gonzalez had to be lifted from Thursday night’s game in Philadelphia after tweaking his left groin while chasing down a fly ball on a wet field surface at Citizens Bank Park.
Gonzalez has been diagnosed with left groin tightness and will likely be given the old “day-to-day” label before the night is through. Ryan Spilborghs entered to play left field in CarGo’s absence.
Gonzalez, 25, has turned in a disappointing .245/.324/.404 slash line through his first 42 games this season. He earned MVP votes in 2010 after hitting .336/.376/.598 with 34 homers, 117 RBI and 26 steals.
The Rockies signed the promising young outfielder to a massive $80 million contract extension this winter.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)