May 19, 2011, 9:01 PM EST
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Rockies left fielder Carlos Gonzalez had to be lifted from Thursday night’s game in Philadelphia after tweaking his left groin while chasing down a fly ball on a wet field surface at Citizens Bank Park.
Gonzalez has been diagnosed with left groin tightness and will likely be given the old “day-to-day” label before the night is through. Ryan Spilborghs entered to play left field in CarGo’s absence.
Gonzalez, 25, has turned in a disappointing .245/.324/.404 slash line through his first 42 games this season. He earned MVP votes in 2010 after hitting .336/.376/.598 with 34 homers, 117 RBI and 26 steals.
The Rockies signed the promising young outfielder to a massive $80 million contract extension this winter.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)