May 19, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Rockies left fielder Carlos Gonzalez had to be lifted from Thursday night’s game in Philadelphia after tweaking his left groin while chasing down a fly ball on a wet field surface at Citizens Bank Park.
Gonzalez has been diagnosed with left groin tightness and will likely be given the old “day-to-day” label before the night is through. Ryan Spilborghs entered to play left field in CarGo’s absence.
Gonzalez, 25, has turned in a disappointing .245/.324/.404 slash line through his first 42 games this season. He earned MVP votes in 2010 after hitting .336/.376/.598 with 34 homers, 117 RBI and 26 steals.
The Rockies signed the promising young outfielder to a massive $80 million contract extension this winter.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)