May 19, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Rockies left fielder Carlos Gonzalez had to be lifted from Thursday night’s game in Philadelphia after tweaking his left groin while chasing down a fly ball on a wet field surface at Citizens Bank Park.
Gonzalez has been diagnosed with left groin tightness and will likely be given the old “day-to-day” label before the night is through. Ryan Spilborghs entered to play left field in CarGo’s absence.
Gonzalez, 25, has turned in a disappointing .245/.324/.404 slash line through his first 42 games this season. He earned MVP votes in 2010 after hitting .336/.376/.598 with 34 homers, 117 RBI and 26 steals.
The Rockies signed the promising young outfielder to a massive $80 million contract extension this winter.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 7
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 26
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)