May 19, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that Rockies left fielder Carlos Gonzalez had to be lifted from Thursday night’s game in Philadelphia after tweaking his left groin while chasing down a fly ball on a wet field surface at Citizens Bank Park.
Gonzalez has been diagnosed with left groin tightness and will likely be given the old “day-to-day” label before the night is through. Ryan Spilborghs entered to play left field in CarGo’s absence.
Gonzalez, 25, has turned in a disappointing .245/.324/.404 slash line through his first 42 games this season. He earned MVP votes in 2010 after hitting .336/.376/.598 with 34 homers, 117 RBI and 26 steals.
The Rockies signed the promising young outfielder to a massive $80 million contract extension this winter.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)