May 19, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Yesterday the Red Sox announced that an MRI exam revealed “elbow tightness consistent with a UCL sprain” for Daisuke Matsuzaka and Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that they expect him “to be out for a minimum of a month.”
Believe it or not that would actually qualify as good news for Matsuzaka, because UCL sprains are often precursors for Tommy John surgery and that would knock him out for 12-18 months.
Matsuzaka is scheduled to be re-examined in two weeks, at which point the Red Sox should have a much better idea about whether he can avoid surgery. In the meantime the search for rotation help has led them all the way down to Kevin Millwood.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)