May 19, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Yesterday the Red Sox announced that an MRI exam revealed “elbow tightness consistent with a UCL sprain” for Daisuke Matsuzaka and Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that they expect him “to be out for a minimum of a month.”
Believe it or not that would actually qualify as good news for Matsuzaka, because UCL sprains are often precursors for Tommy John surgery and that would knock him out for 12-18 months.
Matsuzaka is scheduled to be re-examined in two weeks, at which point the Red Sox should have a much better idea about whether he can avoid surgery. In the meantime the search for rotation help has led them all the way down to Kevin Millwood.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)