May 19, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Yesterday the Red Sox announced that an MRI exam revealed “elbow tightness consistent with a UCL sprain” for Daisuke Matsuzaka and Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that they expect him “to be out for a minimum of a month.”
Believe it or not that would actually qualify as good news for Matsuzaka, because UCL sprains are often precursors for Tommy John surgery and that would knock him out for 12-18 months.
Matsuzaka is scheduled to be re-examined in two weeks, at which point the Red Sox should have a much better idea about whether he can avoid surgery. In the meantime the search for rotation help has led them all the way down to Kevin Millwood.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)