May 19, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Daisuke Matsuzaka joining John Lackey on the disabled list has the Red Sox searching for rotation help and Sean McAdam of CSN New England reports that they’re desperate enough to consider Kevin Millwood.
Millwood signed a minor-league deal with the Yankees near the end of spring training, only to opt out of the contract two weeks ago after a pair of unimpressive starts at Triple-A.
According to McAdam the Red Sox would want Millwood to join the rotation at Triple-A for “a chance to evaluate him further.” It’s unclear if he’d be willing to do that when he wasn’t willing to remain at Triple-A for the Yankees, but at this point the 36-year-old right-hander is going to have to prove himself in the minors for some team before returning to the majors is even an option.
Not only did Millwood go 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA in 31 starts for the Orioles last season, he rarely got his fastball above the mid-80s while pitching at Triple-A last month. He’s also had an ERA above 5.00 in three of the past four seasons, so the Red Sox showing any kind of interest says a lot more about the sorry state of their rotation depth than it does about Millwood’s chances of making a big-league impact again.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)