May 19, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
Padilla opened the season on the DL after elbow surgery, but he quickly claimed the closer’s after returning last month. That was because both original the Dodgers’ original closer, Broxton, and his presumed heir, Kuo, were struggling with injuries of their own.
Jansen, the converted catcher who was a sensation after debuting last year, was briefly sent down to Double-A last month, but he’s struck out seven in four scoreless innings since returning. He closed out a game last Friday after Padilla failed to get the job done in the ninth.
Guerrier would be manager Don Mattingly’s safest option, even though he’s a 32-year-old with six career saves to his credit. He picked up the save Tuesday in the Dodgers’ 3-0 win over the Brewers.
MacDougal is the man in the pen with all of the closing experience; he’s saved 70 games, including 20 with the Nationals in 2009. Still, he’s even wilder than Jansen, having walked nine batters in 14 2/3 innings this season.
Jansen is the one candidate of the three to run away with the job while Padilla is out. It’d certainly be best for Mattingly and the Dodgers if he could do so. Guerrier is at his most valuable working in tight games in the seventh and eighth innings.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)