May 19, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
- The Yankees gave “zero consideration” to the idea of releasing Jorge Posada over the weekend. That’s fine as far as “consideration” goes, but we have no word on how far the crazy, anger-filled knee-jerk decision making process got along before sanity was restored.
- Bryan Stow opened his eyes.
- Ned Yost shook up his lineup. And then, in an act of inertia, he called down to Omaha and had his AAA manager make Vin Mazzaro run ten laps of the ballpark and then pitch until he puked.
- Cardinals infielders are dropping like flies. And the outfielders aren’t faring much better. Prediction: before the month is over, Pujols pulls a Jose Oquendo and plays every position in a game.
- Billy Beane has his real shoulder replaced with some bionic model that was put together by a bunch of computer geeks in their mothers’ basements. Or so I’m told.
- Who thorws hard? These guys throw hard.
- Jose Contreras may not be back too soon.
- A prospect has Tommy John surgery.
- A homicide suspect is going to join the Orioles.
Pardon me if I’m distracted today. I’ve been pressed into duty to coach my son’s soccer team tonight, and frankly, I’m not all that prepared for it. But maybe I shouldn’t worry. I mean, apart from not knowing anything about soccer, the fact that kids never listen to what I say, and that, since I don’t pay too close attention when I watch the games, I’m under the erroneous impression that every boy on the team except my son is named “Aiden,” what could possibly go wrong?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)