May 19, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
- The Yankees gave “zero consideration” to the idea of releasing Jorge Posada over the weekend. That’s fine as far as “consideration” goes, but we have no word on how far the crazy, anger-filled knee-jerk decision making process got along before sanity was restored.
- Bryan Stow opened his eyes.
- Ned Yost shook up his lineup. And then, in an act of inertia, he called down to Omaha and had his AAA manager make Vin Mazzaro run ten laps of the ballpark and then pitch until he puked.
- Cardinals infielders are dropping like flies. And the outfielders aren’t faring much better. Prediction: before the month is over, Pujols pulls a Jose Oquendo and plays every position in a game.
- Billy Beane has his real shoulder replaced with some bionic model that was put together by a bunch of computer geeks in their mothers’ basements. Or so I’m told.
- Who thorws hard? These guys throw hard.
- Jose Contreras may not be back too soon.
- A prospect has Tommy John surgery.
- A homicide suspect is going to join the Orioles.
Pardon me if I’m distracted today. I’ve been pressed into duty to coach my son’s soccer team tonight, and frankly, I’m not all that prepared for it. But maybe I shouldn’t worry. I mean, apart from not knowing anything about soccer, the fact that kids never listen to what I say, and that, since I don’t pay too close attention when I watch the games, I’m under the erroneous impression that every boy on the team except my son is named “Aiden,” what could possibly go wrong?
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 14
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 26
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 68
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)