May 19, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
- The Yankees gave “zero consideration” to the idea of releasing Jorge Posada over the weekend. That’s fine as far as “consideration” goes, but we have no word on how far the crazy, anger-filled knee-jerk decision making process got along before sanity was restored.
- Bryan Stow opened his eyes.
- Ned Yost shook up his lineup. And then, in an act of inertia, he called down to Omaha and had his AAA manager make Vin Mazzaro run ten laps of the ballpark and then pitch until he puked.
- Cardinals infielders are dropping like flies. And the outfielders aren’t faring much better. Prediction: before the month is over, Pujols pulls a Jose Oquendo and plays every position in a game.
- Billy Beane has his real shoulder replaced with some bionic model that was put together by a bunch of computer geeks in their mothers’ basements. Or so I’m told.
- Who thorws hard? These guys throw hard.
- Jose Contreras may not be back too soon.
- A prospect has Tommy John surgery.
- A homicide suspect is going to join the Orioles.
Pardon me if I’m distracted today. I’ve been pressed into duty to coach my son’s soccer team tonight, and frankly, I’m not all that prepared for it. But maybe I shouldn’t worry. I mean, apart from not knowing anything about soccer, the fact that kids never listen to what I say, and that, since I don’t pay too close attention when I watch the games, I’m under the erroneous impression that every boy on the team except my son is named “Aiden,” what could possibly go wrong?
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)