May 19, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
- The Yankees gave “zero consideration” to the idea of releasing Jorge Posada over the weekend. That’s fine as far as “consideration” goes, but we have no word on how far the crazy, anger-filled knee-jerk decision making process got along before sanity was restored.
- Bryan Stow opened his eyes.
- Ned Yost shook up his lineup. And then, in an act of inertia, he called down to Omaha and had his AAA manager make Vin Mazzaro run ten laps of the ballpark and then pitch until he puked.
- Cardinals infielders are dropping like flies. And the outfielders aren’t faring much better. Prediction: before the month is over, Pujols pulls a Jose Oquendo and plays every position in a game.
- Billy Beane has his real shoulder replaced with some bionic model that was put together by a bunch of computer geeks in their mothers’ basements. Or so I’m told.
- Who thorws hard? These guys throw hard.
- Jose Contreras may not be back too soon.
- A prospect has Tommy John surgery.
- A homicide suspect is going to join the Orioles.
Pardon me if I’m distracted today. I’ve been pressed into duty to coach my son’s soccer team tonight, and frankly, I’m not all that prepared for it. But maybe I shouldn’t worry. I mean, apart from not knowing anything about soccer, the fact that kids never listen to what I say, and that, since I don’t pay too close attention when I watch the games, I’m under the erroneous impression that every boy on the team except my son is named “Aiden,” what could possibly go wrong?
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)