May 19, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
- The Yankees gave “zero consideration” to the idea of releasing Jorge Posada over the weekend. That’s fine as far as “consideration” goes, but we have no word on how far the crazy, anger-filled knee-jerk decision making process got along before sanity was restored.
- Bryan Stow opened his eyes.
- Ned Yost shook up his lineup. And then, in an act of inertia, he called down to Omaha and had his AAA manager make Vin Mazzaro run ten laps of the ballpark and then pitch until he puked.
- Cardinals infielders are dropping like flies. And the outfielders aren’t faring much better. Prediction: before the month is over, Pujols pulls a Jose Oquendo and plays every position in a game.
- Billy Beane has his real shoulder replaced with some bionic model that was put together by a bunch of computer geeks in their mothers’ basements. Or so I’m told.
- Who thorws hard? These guys throw hard.
- Jose Contreras may not be back too soon.
- A prospect has Tommy John surgery.
- A homicide suspect is going to join the Orioles.
Pardon me if I’m distracted today. I’ve been pressed into duty to coach my son’s soccer team tonight, and frankly, I’m not all that prepared for it. But maybe I shouldn’t worry. I mean, apart from not knowing anything about soccer, the fact that kids never listen to what I say, and that, since I don’t pay too close attention when I watch the games, I’m under the erroneous impression that every boy on the team except my son is named “Aiden,” what could possibly go wrong?
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 5
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 51
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 51
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 52
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)