May 19, 2011, 7:28 PM EDT
The Phillies made a last-second change before their Thursday evening game against the visiting Rockies, scratching right-hander Joe Blanton from his scheduled start and replacing him with long reliever Kyle Kendrick. The news comes via Dave Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News.
Blanton spent a little over two weeks on the disabled list in late April and early May because of an impingement of his right elbow. Either that injury is not fully healed or the Phillies are simply playing it safe with the 30-year-old because of the rainy conditions that are expected to hover around the Philadelphia area for most of the evening. A slick turf can often lead to injury setbacks.
Kendrick, 26, has posted a strong 1.64 ERA in 22 total innings this year despite an ugly 6/12 K/BB ratio. He’s made two starts and looked fairly sharp in both of them, but the Rockies will provide a big test.
UPDATE: According to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post, the Phillies have confirmed that Blanton is again dealing with elbow issues. It’s not yet known if he is going to need another stint on the disabled list.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)