Jorge Posada starts at first base tonight

May 19, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT

Jorge Posada AP

Jorge Posada has played 28 games at first base in his career, starting 15 of those.  He gets number 16 tonight, as Joe Girardi has put him in the lineup in place of Mark Teixeira, who will move over to DH for the evening.  Posada is batting seventh in case you care about such things, but really, who cares about batting order?

Oh, yeah. Posada does.  Man, I hope for Joe Girardi’s sake that he asked Posada if it was OK that he plays first tonight. I’d hate for things to get ugly again. I mean, all it does is give us all kinds of things to talk about, spikes the blog’s traffic to silly proportions and has the entire Yankees fan base either (a) freak out; or (b) get disgusted at the others in the fan base are freaking out.

So, no, none of that. At all.

1. sdelmonte - May 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM

How many different players have the Yanks used at DH this week? I don’t follow such things that closely, being an NL man and all, but it really does feel like Girardi is using the DH slot in very odd ways.

2. rcali - May 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

So nobody has broke the news to him yet that it’s time to hang them up? How uncomfortable is that locker room right now?

3. hardballbalk - May 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM

It seems as though Girardi is trying everything with Posada. Perhaps the drop to 9th was a chance to attack his pride, assuming Posada would take out his frustration on a baseball? (Man, if so, backfire of the century.) It looks like this newest move is a hope that he can get into the rhythm of the game a bit. Stay warm. Feel like a player. If he doesn’t embarrass himself and hits a bit, this could be more than a one-time thing. There are a few guys the Yankees would be “hip” to rotating through that DH spot.

• mightymike1250 - May 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Posada has said (as have others — most notably David Ortiz) that it is much harder to DH when that’s all your doing, as opposed to playing the field. Not being a professional baseball player, I cannot attest to that. But it seems like a reasonable premise, does it not?

• hardballbalk - May 19, 2011 at 6:36 PM

The biggest detractor, of course, is the loss of Texeira’s glove at first; however, in a world where Albert Pujols can play third, Posada could be good for a start at first every two weeks or so.

4. yankeesfanlen - May 19, 2011 at 6:13 PM

For corn’s sake, is this “make up your own rules” day in kindergarten? Suppose he has to catch a slightly misguided throw? If it’s buddy Beep-beep he’ll do it, but not for that mean and ugly ARod?

5. 5thbase - May 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM

So when Jeter wants a day off from the field will Posada slide over to short? If so I’m officially the biggest Yankees fan in the world.

• Glenn - May 19, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I was thinking fifth starter.

6. spizzjr - May 19, 2011 at 6:58 PM

They should let him catch a game he was born for it!!! Idc that he took girardis job c’mon Jorge posada has called sone pretty friggen fantastic games in his career his never been a full time dh give martin dh tonigh keep tex at first let posada put on the pads every once in a while he’s a passionate catcher his knees maybe hurting a little but I guarantee he wants to catch again !!!!!!

7. cup0pizza - May 19, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Posada the crybaby.

8. Jonny 5 - May 20, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Why can’t Posada be DH, and pretend he’s catching, but from the dugout? Then it would be just like he’s playing. Right? Of course he wouldn’t be able to run out to the pitching mound for every single batter like he so loves to do. Hey, but he could even put the gear on and pretend to call a perfect game or something in the dugout.

9. uyf1950 - May 20, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Let’s be honest. Regardless of how well or poorly Posada does this year it’s his last year in Yankee pinstripes. His contract is up he’s had a great run but it’s time for him to ride into the sunset at the end of the year or sooner if he can’t turn his season around. We all know that, the Yankees know that and Posada knows that, even if he won’t admit it.
    I’ve been as critical of Posada’s performance this year as probably anyone and rightfully so. But before I get off this soapbox I have one group of stats I want to share with my Red Sox friends who are probably having a good laugh at Posada’s troubles as well they should.
    Posada: Final year of his contract at $13M+/-. As of today .183 BA / 6 Hr’s / 16 RBI’s / .299 OBP / .374 SLG% / .572 OPS.
    Crawford: 1st year of his $142M 7 year contract. As of today .212 BA / 1 Hr / 11 RBI’s / .249 OBP / .285 SLG% / .533 OPS.
    Now I have no doubt that some fan probably far more intelligent than I will quote some advanced Sabermetrics stats/projections disputing or contradicting what I have just posted and that’s all fair and well. Being old school, for me these numbers don’t lie. If I were a team owner I would much rather only be obligated to Posada for this year at $13M, then look at the potential of owing Crawford $142M for the next 7 years. Need I say it. That’s just my opinion.
    BTW, I have no intention of debating this post should some fan or any fan find issue with it. It content speaks for itself.

10. swisher4mayor - May 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM

i think it wasnt a bad idea putting posada at first, i mean u cud do tht everytime texiera needs a break. one reason posada is in a slump is because everytime he goes up to bat and gets out he gets frustrated nd thinks bout that out for bout 40 minutes until his next at bat which makes him do even worse the next at bat, because of the low confidence. but i think posada cud catch bullpens, that way he cud catch nd keep his mind off of his at bats.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3245)