May 19, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Mark DeRosa left last night’s Giants-Dodgers game after tweaking his wrist while waiting for a pitch from Clayton Kershaw. He didn’t even swing at it, actually, just was digging in and cocking the bat in anticipation. He looked to be in some pretty obvious pain. While the initial word was that he would be day-to-day, Bruce Bochy said after the game that he “could be out for a while.”
We touched on this a couple of weeks ago when Pablo Sandoval went down: the Giants offense stinks, its best hitter is out for a while and now, the guy who is probably his best replacement — DeRosa — is injured again. So, you’re back to Miguel Tejada posing as a major league hitter and Brandon Belt tattooing the ball down in Fresno. Time to think out of the box, right?
Aubrey Huff is thinking outside of the box, and he says he’s willing to move from first to third base, which would allow Tejada to be benched and Belt to slide in to his natural position at first.
Likelihood: extremely low. Belt has been taking all of his reps in the outfield at AAA and the Giants are unlikely to want to move Huff around any more than they already have, because — with all respect — his glove stinks on ice. And because he hasn’t played third base since 2008, and even then it was (a) sporadic; and (b) poor.
But you know what they say about desperate times and desperate measures, right?
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 41
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)