May 19, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa left last night’s Giants-Dodgers game after tweaking his wrist while waiting for a pitch from Clayton Kershaw. He didn’t even swing at it, actually, just was digging in and cocking the bat in anticipation. He looked to be in some pretty obvious pain. While the initial word was that he would be day-to-day, Bruce Bochy said after the game that he “could be out for a while.”
We touched on this a couple of weeks ago when Pablo Sandoval went down: the Giants offense stinks, its best hitter is out for a while and now, the guy who is probably his best replacement — DeRosa — is injured again. So, you’re back to Miguel Tejada posing as a major league hitter and Brandon Belt tattooing the ball down in Fresno. Time to think out of the box, right?
Aubrey Huff is thinking outside of the box, and he says he’s willing to move from first to third base, which would allow Tejada to be benched and Belt to slide in to his natural position at first.
Likelihood: extremely low. Belt has been taking all of his reps in the outfield at AAA and the Giants are unlikely to want to move Huff around any more than they already have, because — with all respect — his glove stinks on ice. And because he hasn’t played third base since 2008, and even then it was (a) sporadic; and (b) poor.
But you know what they say about desperate times and desperate measures, right?
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (117)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)