May 19, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa left last night’s Giants-Dodgers game after tweaking his wrist while waiting for a pitch from Clayton Kershaw. He didn’t even swing at it, actually, just was digging in and cocking the bat in anticipation. He looked to be in some pretty obvious pain. While the initial word was that he would be day-to-day, Bruce Bochy said after the game that he “could be out for a while.”
We touched on this a couple of weeks ago when Pablo Sandoval went down: the Giants offense stinks, its best hitter is out for a while and now, the guy who is probably his best replacement — DeRosa — is injured again. So, you’re back to Miguel Tejada posing as a major league hitter and Brandon Belt tattooing the ball down in Fresno. Time to think out of the box, right?
Aubrey Huff is thinking outside of the box, and he says he’s willing to move from first to third base, which would allow Tejada to be benched and Belt to slide in to his natural position at first.
Likelihood: extremely low. Belt has been taking all of his reps in the outfield at AAA and the Giants are unlikely to want to move Huff around any more than they already have, because — with all respect — his glove stinks on ice. And because he hasn’t played third base since 2008, and even then it was (a) sporadic; and (b) poor.
But you know what they say about desperate times and desperate measures, right?
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)