May 19, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa left last night’s Giants-Dodgers game after tweaking his wrist while waiting for a pitch from Clayton Kershaw. He didn’t even swing at it, actually, just was digging in and cocking the bat in anticipation. He looked to be in some pretty obvious pain. While the initial word was that he would be day-to-day, Bruce Bochy said after the game that he “could be out for a while.”
We touched on this a couple of weeks ago when Pablo Sandoval went down: the Giants offense stinks, its best hitter is out for a while and now, the guy who is probably his best replacement — DeRosa — is injured again. So, you’re back to Miguel Tejada posing as a major league hitter and Brandon Belt tattooing the ball down in Fresno. Time to think out of the box, right?
Aubrey Huff is thinking outside of the box, and he says he’s willing to move from first to third base, which would allow Tejada to be benched and Belt to slide in to his natural position at first.
Likelihood: extremely low. Belt has been taking all of his reps in the outfield at AAA and the Giants are unlikely to want to move Huff around any more than they already have, because — with all respect — his glove stinks on ice. And because he hasn’t played third base since 2008, and even then it was (a) sporadic; and (b) poor.
But you know what they say about desperate times and desperate measures, right?
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)