People asked me questions on Twitter, so I shall answer them

May 19, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT

The Question

Oh, and you’ll really want to watch me do the questions on HBT Daily today because I make an extended “Watchmen” analogy that totally loses Tiffany. But for now, the rejects. No, not you, just the questions I didn’t use:

Q: Why do the Yankees refuse to score runs?

It’s a test of Joe Girardi’s aptitude. If they scored ten runs last night, he never would have been faced with that Colon/Rivera decision and we’d have no way of knowing how he handles such tough spots.  I think the whole thing was set up by Hank Steinbrenner. He got a grant for the study and everything.

Q: What was your favorite class in law school?

Snarky answer: Tax law, because I used to stay up late in law school and I could always catch up on my Zs in tax.

Less snarky answer: Law and Accounting. Really: there was a visiting professor at GW that year — who now seems to be permanent — named Lawrence Cunningham, who actually made what could have been a boring topic — the legal aspects of corporate accounting — really interesting and fun.  While it could have easily been a rote crash course on LIFO and FIFO accounting for laywers, he focused on the little sneaky accounting tricks that business tries to use in order to portray liabilities as assets and other such devious things.  While we’re well aware of all of that in this post-Enron, post-AIG world, this was 1997, and no one was talking about this in polite circles.  Let’s just say that his class, more than any other class I took, has stuck with me these past 14 years, enabling me to understand the nature of big business and, because of that, to be skeptical when anyone proposes “fixing” schools, governments or baseball teams by using good old entrepreneurial know-how.

Q: Wanna get a beer?

You buyin’?

Q: What gives you the right?

It’s my blog, dude.

Q: Red Sox had a walkoff win on Monday after trailing the entire game till the last at-bat. Should that have a special name?

I think you intended to send that to Bill Simmons, who likely has a 26-part “levels of walkoff wins” column in the chamber, ready to fire if he ever wants for content.

Q: We know New York and Boston plyers are overrated and guys from small markets and west coast teams are underrated. What team’s players are rated exactly right?

As we all know, this is a function of the dreaded east coast bias. The answer, then: players who play for any team located 2.7 miles northeast of Plato, Missouri are rated exactly correctly, because that location is the precise geographic center of the U.S. population as of the 2010 census.

Q: Serious question: Do you think fantasy average draft positions will be used for HoF consideration? Insight to fans’ view.

Never. It’s a worst-of-both-worlds kind of thing.  The more traditional voters would dismiss it out of hand because it’s rather nuts on the surface. The more progressive, stats-oriented voters would likewise dismiss it because most fantasy leagues focus on counting stats like steals, wins and saves and thus where someone is taken in a fantasy draft is misleading with respect to their actual value as players. So, points for creativity, but nah.

Q: I’m managing my co-ed softball team this summer. Because I’m in Atlanta, how often am I required by Fredi Law to bunt?

Ah, Fredi Law. That new area of scholarly inquiry that tries to explain the inexplicable moves of new Braves’ manager Fredi Gonzalez.  Because of my Braves fandom and legal background I was recently asked by West Publishing to write a treatise on it, but I declined due to the toll it would have on my mental health. And it’s only May.

As for the bunts: it’s not really a quota. It’s more about making sure you do it at exactly the wrong time and/or burn a perfectly good bench player for the express purpose of bunting when you could have used a pitcher to do it.  Oh, and you get bonus points for doing this, which is a rare instance when Charles Shultz used his well-known but seldom-discussed powers of foretelling the future of Braves’ managers’ decisions.

Q: What is the biggest home run hit in the history of each franchise?

Great question!  It’s one I’m going to turn into a post later today!

Thanks all. I love doing this. Follow me on Twitter and be on the lookout for the next time I go jonesin’ for your questions. Usually Wednesday evenings.

1. halladaysbicepts - May 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Seriously, Craig, you took the time to answer this question?

Fantasy Baseball = Dungeons & Dragons. It has nothing to do with real baseball.

HOF voters are made up of sports writers who could care less about Fantasy Baseball and their meaningless stats. That’s why they call it “Fantasy”. It’s not real.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Don’t knock D&D, brah. The HBT universe is nerdier than you realize. Keep it up and we shall each throw on our magic elven chain-mail with +2 against melee attacks and go to war with you. All of us mages, thieves, fighters and psionicists will light you afire with magic thunderbolts, mindf@ck you with telekinetic abilities, and then slice you in twain with our duel-wielded Drow scimitars smelted in shadow dragon fire. You’ve been warned.

• halladaysbicepts - May 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Here’s the difference. I played RPG games like the Bard’s Tales and Wasteland when I was 11 years old, not as an adult twenty some years later.

That’s what my biggest problem is with fantasy baseball. People think they are huge baseball fans when they follow their daily meaningless stats on games they rarely watch.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I completely disagree, obviously. Fantasy baseball made me a much bigger baseball fan. I watch every game available (which is most w/ MLB.tv) b/c there are ramifications fantasy-wise in nearly all of them. Fantasy baseball makes Nats/Pirates games watchable. I now know most of the players and prospects b/c of fantasy baseball alongside reading baseball sites. It is extremely tough to succeed in our ESPN league b/c we have some major baseball-watching, geeky, stat-heads in our league. This means each team has to think critically about how to build one’s team, where to focus your draft picks, which pitchers to play based on match-ups, home/road splits, etc., trading players, and keeping a close eye on injuries and days off for your players on a daily basis. The fantasy points are based off of real stats, so stating they’re meaningless is ridiculous, naive and untrue. Fantasy baseball is nerdy, but it isn’t a child’s game, especially when money is on the line. Also, it’s really really fun.

• Charles Gates - May 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM

The future’s sports writers are today’s fantasy players. ADP is a proxy, though far from perfect, to measure the value of a player relative to their peers from the same era. In 5 years? No. But in 15 years, when today’s late teen, early 20s fantasy players turned writers are gaining their HoF voting credentials? Perhaps.

Posnanski always mentions peak and duration in his HoF columns. ADP gives a a quick and dirty measure of both.

2. ThatGuy - May 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Twins: Easy, Puckett game six against Braves… “We’ll see you tomorrow night!”

• tjwilliams - May 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM

No doubt. Some others off the top of my head.

Giants – Shot Heard ‘Round the World
      Dodgers – Kirk Gibson
      Pirates – Mazeroski
      Blue Jays – Joe Carter
      Red Sox – I thought Fisk, but Papi’s game 4 walkoff in 2004 might have been “bigger”.

3. deathmonkey41 - May 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Yankees- Bucky f#@king Dent.

• nixonotis - May 19, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Derek Jeter’s home run during the 2001 WS was pretty “big” for a variety of reasons

4. thefalcon123 - May 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Yadier Molina in 2006 over Ozzie Smith in 1985 in the home run department. Ozzie’s seems cooler because he’s f**kin Ozzie Smith, but it was game 5, not game 7 and the Cardinals went on to lose the 85′ World Series.

5. cshearing - May 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM

The easiest of all is the Blue Jays. There is only one in contention, and it was awesome.

• cur68 - May 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

dude…

• paperlions - May 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I don’t know….the Gibson HR for the Dodgers and the Mazeroski HR for the Pirates seem to kind of stand out, don’t they.

• Jonny 5 - May 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM

That was a horrible display and should be forever known as such. That is all.

P.S. Pie rules

• cur68 - May 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

“Touch ‘em all Joe…”

Dykstra likes Pie I bet.

6. yankeesfanlen - May 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Biggest home runs (Yankees) Hard to place, but it MUST have been vs. the Red Sox. Maybe the guy had the middle inital F.
    Giants, Pirates- too easy.

7. halladaysbicepts - May 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

The biggest homerun ever hit in Phillies’ history was by Johnny Callison in the 1964 Allstar game to win it in the 9th for the NL. Granted, the homerun was in an exibition game, but, it will be among the first to come to mind for most Phillies fans.

They never really have had another great homerun moment in the regular or postseason that I can recall, other than Mike Schmidt’s 500th homerun.

• Jonny 5 - May 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

LOL . ” If they were alive in 1964″ you should have added. An all star game? Really? GTFO.. Not literally meant just wow.

• halladaysbicepts - May 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I wasn’t alive either, but saw the replay about 500 times. I assume most Philly fans have as well.

Then I’ll ask you, other than Schmitty’s 500th hr., what other Philly hr. sticks out in your mind?

• bigxrob - May 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Matt Stairs

• halladaysbicepts - May 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM

bigxrob,

How could I forget Matt Stairs? Your right. This is definitely the biggest one.

• Jonny 5 - May 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I can think of three which I’d rank around Schmidt’s 500th from 2008 alone. I’d say the Matt Stairs moon shot. And Blanton hitting the Bomb in the WS. Another was the Shane Victorino Grand slam off Sabathia. 2008 was a great season for awesome hits. Didn’t “Nails” hit a nice one in the NLCS once too?

The 1980 pennant clinching home run from Schmidt was the biggest probably, ya know in recent history. That’s what I’m thinking. If not it’s from 2008.

• halladaysbicepts - May 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, Schmitty’s hr. in Montreal in 1980 was huge. I remember that one like it was yesterday.

• professor59 - May 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Possibly Victorino’s playoff slam or Matt Stairs. Schmidt’s 500th was a really big memory, though. How to define “biggest”?

8. heyblueyoustink - May 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Here I would have thought your favorite class would have been thuganomics.

9. chrisdtx - May 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Tigers: Magglio Ordonez 2006 ALCS > Kirk Gibson 1984 WS

10. wonkypenguin - May 19, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I was at an 8th grade baseball game on Tuesday and there was a prolonged delay due to an injury (it was brutal). When the game resumed, the team in the field had to replace the pitcher and the team up to bat had a runner on first with nobody out.

As the pitcher began his warm-up tosses, the kid on first took off and “stole” second base. He slid in, dusted himself off, and looked very proud of his accomplishment. It took him a good 10-15 seconds to realize what he’d done.

And all I could think was, “Hey – Alexi Casilla would totally do something like that.”

• ThatGuy - May 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Denard Span would have got picked off during the Warm Up pitches

• sportsdrenched - May 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM

So would Jerod Dyson

• cur68 - May 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

…and Edwin Encarnation

11. Pierre Cruzatte - May 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

This complaint’s directed at Twitter, not you, Craig: those of us who protect our tweets can’t ask you questions.

Right, we don’t want the general public reading our twitter feeds (we like our jobs, so we can’t let the Firm find out that we use our mobile devices to engage in social interaction before 8pm on weekdays). But if I tweet @craigcalcaterra, why the hell can’t Craig Calcaterra read that tweet?

(Not to mention that the folks with careers where management frowns upon non-billable interests seem like we’d be your target demographic.)

12. royhobbs39 - May 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Simmons not only has that article about walk-offs pre-written, but he compares each level of walk off to his favorite lines from “the 80s classic Iron Eagle”.

• nixonotis - May 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Bill Simmons. Melrose Place, NBA, Rocky IV, Red Sox, VEGAS!!!!!!! There, just wrote his next column.

• Tim's Neighbor - May 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I don’t understand all of the hate for Simmons. He’s not for everyone, no. But a lot of people expect him to be some sort of straight up sports writer. He’s not and doesn’t pretend to be. His articles are a mindlessly and, at times, amusing waste of 20 minutes. Save the hate for sports writers who actually take themselves seriously and actually attack athletes and their personal lives and make silly judgments. Save the hate for TMZ style journalism. Don’t like Simmons? Just don’t read him.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3687)