May 19, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT
Morales has displayed significant control problems this season out of the Rockies’ bullpen and is currently the owner of a poor 11/8 K/BB ratio. But he has allowed just six runs in 14 innings for a 3.86 ERA and the Red Sox may be thinking that they can reel in his command issues. He has the ability to start as well, which is probably intriguing for a team missing Daisuke Matsuzaka and dealing with Josh Beckett‘s sudden neck stiffness.
The 25-year-old Morales has posted a 4.83 career ERA over four-plus major league seasons.
Abraham has no other details at this time and no other news outlet is providing information.
UPDATE: The trade is now official, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox will receive Morales for a player to be named later or future cash considerations. Hideki Okajima has been designated for assignment to clear a spot on Boston’s roster.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)