May 19, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT
Morales has displayed significant control problems this season out of the Rockies’ bullpen and is currently the owner of a poor 11/8 K/BB ratio. But he has allowed just six runs in 14 innings for a 3.86 ERA and the Red Sox may be thinking that they can reel in his command issues. He has the ability to start as well, which is probably intriguing for a team missing Daisuke Matsuzaka and dealing with Josh Beckett‘s sudden neck stiffness.
The 25-year-old Morales has posted a 4.83 career ERA over four-plus major league seasons.
Abraham has no other details at this time and no other news outlet is providing information.
UPDATE: The trade is now official, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox will receive Morales for a player to be named later or future cash considerations. Hideki Okajima has been designated for assignment to clear a spot on Boston’s roster.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 42
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)