May 19, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT
Morales has displayed significant control problems this season out of the Rockies’ bullpen and is currently the owner of a poor 11/8 K/BB ratio. But he has allowed just six runs in 14 innings for a 3.86 ERA and the Red Sox may be thinking that they can reel in his command issues. He has the ability to start as well, which is probably intriguing for a team missing Daisuke Matsuzaka and dealing with Josh Beckett‘s sudden neck stiffness.
The 25-year-old Morales has posted a 4.83 career ERA over four-plus major league seasons.
Abraham has no other details at this time and no other news outlet is providing information.
UPDATE: The trade is now official, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. The Red Sox will receive Morales for a player to be named later or future cash considerations. Hideki Okajima has been designated for assignment to clear a spot on Boston’s roster.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)