Shockingly, a team has a beef with umpire Joe West

May 19, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT

joe-west-and-bud-black

Dan Hayes of the North County Times writes that the Padres can be added to the list of teams that umpire Joe West has pissed off:

Twenty four hours later, the Padres were still incensed on Wednesday afternoon about umpire Joe West’s blown call in Tuesday’s loss at Arizona. Reliever Mike Adams said many of his teammates reviewed video after Tuesday’s 6-1 loss ended to see if West was correct in ruling that Padres utility man Eric Patterson left third base early when he tagged up on a fly ball in the second inning.

The call wiped out an early lead for the Padres and video showed West wasn’t looking in Patterson’s direction and was instead focusing on the outfield. Padres general manager Jed Hoyer told XX Sports Radio on Wednesday he is considering sending video of the incident to the league office. Padres players are hopeful he does.

Mike Adams may earn himself a fine for this, but he spoke the truth by saying: “You really don’t expect anything less out of that crew. There’s a reason [West and Angel Hernandez] were voted two of the top three worst in the big leagues. It seems like they’ve always got to be part of the game.”

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I don’t know how many times I’ve yelled at Angel and West through my TV. They couldn’t call Domino’s, not to mention a ballgame.

• nixonotis - May 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Cut Joe West some slack, he’s a musician who does this umpiring thing on the side.

• aceshigh11 - May 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM

On the contrary…looks like (Fat)Cowboy Joe West has Domino’s on speed dial.

2. kellyb9 - May 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM

The fact that you even know his name means he’s probably not doing his job right.

3. deathmonkey41 - May 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Never trust anyone who doesn’t have a chin…just saying.

• bobwsc - May 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM

granted that chin is like a kangaroo pocket, he looks a lot less fat than in the past.

• jimbo1949 - May 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Never trust anyone who doesn’t have chins

Fixed it fer ya.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM

People! The game isn’t called Cowboy Joe West for nothing! Major League Cowboy Joe West can’t be the MLCJW without him! Now if baseball would step the f@ck out of the way so that I can watch my Cowboy Joe West game on TV in peace, I’d be a lot happier. I’m so tired of baseball making itself the face of the game whenever I watch Cowboy Joe West games on TV. It’s infuriating!

5. trevorb06 - May 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I only know the names of 2 umps in the MLB: West and Hernandez. Hmmm wonder why? Shoot, I don’t even remember the name of the ump who blew Armando’s perfecto because overall he’s not a horrible ump (still not a GREAT ump though either). I can’t wait til some action FINALLY gets done, but I’m not holding my breath.

• nixonotis - May 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM

You’re not being serious when you say you don’t remember Jim Joyce’s name, right? Hyperbole?

• bobwsc - May 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Laz Diaz is actually a decent ump and he’s the one that beat the p|ss out of the two guys that attacked him while he was umping first (some skuzzy guy and his son). ex-marine brickhouse – talk about picking the wrong ump to fvck with.

6. joecool16280 - May 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM

How does he still have a job? Seriously!

7. jamie54 - May 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Why should anything happen now since it never has before and both of these jokers are still umping? MLB continues to look the other way when it comes to this so I guess the men in blue must have a good union.

8. diehardcubbiefan4life - May 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Mike Adams has got some guts saying that…You go Mikey, I HATE both of those umps…so many screwed calls………………

9. steve7921 - May 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Hey now…if a player hits .300, he is having a good year. Joe West is getting the call right about 3 out of 10 times, so he is having a good year!

10. bobwsc - May 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM

didn’t Joe Torre just come out with some BS statement that “umps haven’t felt like part of the game?” granted they shouldn’t, but if this is their way of trying to become more involved, then the whole system is…how you say…out of whack.

11. donkeyball - May 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM

We shouldn’t leave out the name Doug Eddings into the “should have been fired long ago” list.

12. Tim's Neighbor - May 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I can get over umpires blowing calls alone as much as it ticks me off. But after having to work with Joe West professionally last year, I can say that he is indeed a smug, controlling jackass. I don’t know how he still has a job.

• kingkillerstudios - May 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Are we going to get deets on that or do we have to imagine some horror show involving a moon bounce?

13. ltzep75 - May 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM

What was the point of busting the Umpire’s Union a few years back if we can’t just unilatterally toss these guys out on their well-padded keysters? Maybe we could have a hybrid computer-umpire system. Whenever K zone determines a pitch was a definite strike, an electric shock will be sent to Cowboy Joe West’s scrotum.

14. paperlions - May 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Just saw CB Bucknor blow an out/safe call on a SB in the LAA/SEA game….another name that comes up too often because of an inability to do his job adequately.

• nixonotis - May 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Bonus point for spelling his last name correctly!

15. joebolt33 - May 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM

My wife who does not watch baseball knows that Angel Hernandez is the worst umpire in the league because every time I watch a game with him I start yelling at the TV. EVERY TIME! It’s uncanny.

16. uuddlrlrbastart - May 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Blowing a call is one thing. But if Joe West really wasn’t watching Patterson to make sure he left on time, then he’s negligent too. If baseball refuses to institute a replay system or a merit-based system for umpire promotions (and demotions) because “it’s part of the game,” I can almost, barely, see that argument. But they can’t compound it by allowing outright negligence.

• donkeyball - May 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM

I love the demotion idea. If you suck, you have to ump at the AAA level until you earn your way back.

17. spudchukar - May 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM

It is difficult to add anything to the above posts, but I will try anyway. Due to the authoritarian attitude of the West/Hernandez duo my Cards seem to have taken the path of least resistance, which while perhaps wise, still irks me. The twosome has made it clear that if you complain it will only get worse for your prospective team. MLB needs to put their foot down. Either the Umps Union becomes self-regulating or outside management will intrude. The notion that umpires are above criticism is a fatuous stance that can no longer be tolerated. I know a system is in place that grades the games officials call is in place, but it has no teeth. The results need to become transparent or else action from the grading system must be enforced. Everyday this blog is loaded with calls for this or that player to step aside, due to their ineptitude. Why should it be any different for those who call the game?

• paperlions - May 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Totally agree. When they have the West/Hernandez crew they do not argue anything, they don’t linger after a called 3rd strike, the pitchers don’t pause or glare in after bad calls, nothing. They just stare at the ground and go back to the bench/base/position.

You aren’t going to gain anything by arguing with those guys, so why bother?

All the trade deadline news to know