May 19, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
Dan Hayes of the North County Times writes that the Padres can be added to the list of teams that umpire Joe West has pissed off:
Twenty four hours later, the Padres were still incensed on Wednesday afternoon about umpire Joe West’s blown call in Tuesday’s loss at Arizona. Reliever Mike Adams said many of his teammates reviewed video after Tuesday’s 6-1 loss ended to see if West was correct in ruling that Padres utility man Eric Patterson left third base early when he tagged up on a fly ball in the second inning.
The call wiped out an early lead for the Padres and video showed West wasn’t looking in Patterson’s direction and was instead focusing on the outfield. Padres general manager Jed Hoyer told XX Sports Radio on Wednesday he is considering sending video of the incident to the league office. Padres players are hopeful he does.
Mike Adams may earn himself a fine for this, but he spoke the truth by saying: “You really don’t expect anything less out of that crew. There’s a reason [West and Angel Hernandez] were voted two of the top three worst in the big leagues. It seems like they’ve always got to be part of the game.”
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47