May 19, 2011, 2:10 PM EST
Dan Hayes of the North County Times writes that the Padres can be added to the list of teams that umpire Joe West has pissed off:
Twenty four hours later, the Padres were still incensed on Wednesday afternoon about umpire Joe West’s blown call in Tuesday’s loss at Arizona. Reliever Mike Adams said many of his teammates reviewed video after Tuesday’s 6-1 loss ended to see if West was correct in ruling that Padres utility man Eric Patterson left third base early when he tagged up on a fly ball in the second inning.
The call wiped out an early lead for the Padres and video showed West wasn’t looking in Patterson’s direction and was instead focusing on the outfield. Padres general manager Jed Hoyer told XX Sports Radio on Wednesday he is considering sending video of the incident to the league office. Padres players are hopeful he does.
Mike Adams may earn himself a fine for this, but he spoke the truth by saying: “You really don’t expect anything less out of that crew. There’s a reason [West and Angel Hernandez] were voted two of the top three worst in the big leagues. It seems like they’ve always got to be part of the game.”
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)