May 19, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
Dallas Braden had season-ending surgery and Tyson Ross was called on to replace him in the Athletics’ rotation. He got the start today against the Twins … annnnd Ross has left the game after throwing just seven pitches.
Buster Olney says it’s an oblique injury. And so the season of obliques continues apace.
Worth looking at what else the Athletics have in the pitching cupboard at the moment. Matthew handled that quite deftly in his Strike Zone column over at Rotoworld over the weekend. The upshot: Matthew would suggest that A’s fans and fantasy folks keep their eye on Bobby Cramer or Guillermo Moscoso, with Josh Outman as another possibility, though he has been struggling at Sacramento.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)