And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

May 20, 2011, 5:56 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

Rockies 7, Phillies 1: In yesterday morning’s recaps I slammed Jason Giambi and declared him dead. Last night he hit three homers and drove in seven.  I see my little foray into reverse psychology worked. Don’t thank me now, Jason. Just let me know where to send my bill.

Mets 1, Nationals 0: Sucks to be Livan Hernandez. Oh, wait, Livan Hernandez pitched in this game? Huh. I was just writing basic declarative sentences about the immutable facts of the universe. What a coincidence. Dillon Gee with the two-hit short shutout. Short shutout? Yes, short shutout.

Red Sox 4, Tigers 3: Carl Crawford comes through with a bases loaded single in a tie-game in the bottom of the ninth to give the Sox the win. It’s his third walkoff hit this month.  What, did you think he’d be totally unworthy of his contract forever?

Blue Jays 3, Rays 2: Two solo homers for the Rays vs. a solo and a two-run homer for the Jays. That’s how all game stories would read if we focused less on the individual and more on the collective. Indeed, I intend to present a paper on this very subject in Vienna this fall. It proposes a view of extending expected utility calculations to both individual and group contexts, using several related cases to illustrate the problems inherent in applying expected utility to group choices. It’s all pretty complicated really, what with Prisoner’s Dilemmas and whatnot, so I won’t bore you with it.

Mariners 2, Angels 1: Since the beginning of time man has yearned to destroy the sun. Torii Hunter now more so.

Cardinals 4, Astros 2: Kyle McClellan did not throw a ball three to any of the batters he faced and picked up his sixth win. The whole shebang took 2:15.

Twins 11, Athletics 1: Break up the Twins, winners of three in a row. Two-run homer for Justin Morneau. A big mess of a day for the A’s staff, who lost Tyson Ross after seven measly pitches due to an oblique attack, which is the name I’m giving oblique injuries from here on out so that people will take them more seriously, awareness can be raised and someday — hopefully — a cure can be found.

Pirates 5, Reds 3: The Buccos have taken five of six from Cincinnati. James McDonald gave up one run in six and two-thirds.

Yankees 13, Orioles 2: Brad Bergesen was foolin’ no one, but even if he did manage to fool a few it wouldn’t have mattered because CC Sabathia was on point.

Cubs 5, Marlins 1: A Mike Stanton homer in the eighth was all the Feesh could muster against the Cubs. Starlin Castro had a two-run double in the top of the ninth to give Chicago some breathing room.

White Sox 8, Indians 2: The Chisox jumped all over Fausto Carmona like it was Opening Day or something, scoring six in the first two innings and eight through five.

Royals 2, Rangers 1: This was like an alternate outcome for that Yankees-Orioles game on Wednesday night. Ron Washington sent Derek Holland out to finish the game in the ninth with a 1-0 lead, but he allowed the first hitter he faced to reach so Washington yanked him for Neftali Feliz. Feliz got a couple outs but allowed a single, then uncorked a wild pitch (note: the word “uncorked” can only be used in connection with wild pitches in much the same way “ensuing” can only be used with kickoffs) and then a game-tying single to Mike Aviles. Into extras we go where Jeff Francoeur was the hero, hitting the game-winning RBI in the bottom of the 10th.

Diamondbacks 2, Braves 1: Josh Collmenter has thrown 21 consecutive scoreless innings. And holy moley, if you haven’t seen him pitch, check out his motion. The Braves, of course, couldn’t hit pitches thrown by a Meatball3000-model pitching machine set to “pansy” right now.

Padres 1, Brewers 0: The signature game of 2011 so far: a 1-0 contest decided by a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth.

Giants 3, D0dgers 1: Madison Bumgarner finally wins a game, pitching a shutout until two outs in the ninth. Brian Wilson came in to get the last out of the game, but he made it interesting, walking two guys first.

1. wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Good morning Craig. At a loose end this morning, so I decided, if I may, to contribute a few thoughts in rhyme re yesterday’s games, and matters in general. Feel free to have me banished from the site for all time coming!

There was an old slugger named Jason,
    Whom it was always impossible to chasten,
    He hit home runs by the score,
    (well, one less than four),
    And was happy it was Philly he was facin’.

• 4d3fect - May 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Humma, is that you?

2. wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 6:07 AM

The Bo Sox are falling to pieces,
    They hope pitcher injury ceases,
    They’ve signed Millwood now,
    And Morales, oh wow,
    Cos’ they pitch like three week old dog……can’t find a rhyme…oh well

• aceshigh11 - May 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM

If by “falling to pieces” you mean “finding their groove and winning six in a row”

Then yeah, I agree.

Seriously, WTF? You couldn’t have picked a worse point in the season to bash the Red Sox.

• wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Topicality and availability of rhymes were factors more important to me than accuracy!

Mind you, even the staunchest Red Sox fan can’t be keen on the chance of seeing Millwood on the team, can they?

• aceshigh11 - May 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Oh, I completely agree that they could very easily implode at any point in the near future, based on their miserable start to the season.

But “falling to pieces” is simply an inaccurate description given their stellar play as of late.

3. wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 6:07 AM

In LA they’ve got Frank McCourt,
    There’s nothing now he hasn’t bought,
    From mansions to gold,
    Artworks new and old,
    But no more do he and Jamie cavort.

• Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Let’s see if we can make this scan, Wow; I’ll play Henry Fool and you can be Simon Grimm:

In LA they’ve got Frank McCourt;
      Though there’s nothing that he hasn’t bought
      From mansions to gold
      Or art new and old
      He and Jamie no longer cavort.

You want to try a sestina? Give me a day’s notice; I’m busy translating the Moloch cantos from Howl into Hebrew these days.

• wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Thanks for the help with the scansion.

Thought might try a sonnet next – haikus in sports are so passe, and even limericks are a bit old hat!

4. wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 6:08 AM

You all know the catcher, Posada,
    He ranted and raved, yadda yadda,
    It’s all ending in tears,
    After all of these years,
    But Jeter’s finish will be even sadder.

• Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 9:48 AM

>sigh< I really hope Circling the Bases doesn't turn into an open mike. I had a dream once that I was the last reader at an open mike; no one came after me and I read for six hours.

Anyway:

You all know the catcher Posada
      Who ranted and raved yadda yadda
      It's ending in tears
      After all of these years
      But Jeter will crash even harder.

Maybe I ought to play Ezra Pound to your T. S. Eliot instead?

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Circling the Bases? Isn’t this the Shysterball blog? That must be in Ballrom three.

• Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Did I say Circling the Bases? Damn, I thought I had outlived my flashbacks. So it goes.

Ballroom Three? You mean you go to MLA conferences too? Let’s meet at the next one and deconstruct a couple of pints of carbonated hoppy discourse.

• wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM

You can be Ezra Pound to my T S Eliot right enough – except my T S Eliot was a pet store owner from Grantham in England, rather than the well known writer about cats.

• Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I think of him more as the writer about hippopotami. See my comments on “the rapture,” fundamentalist clowns and such under the Red Sox v. Cubs thread. No relation to the famous Jurassic poet Artie O’Dactyl, though.

5. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - May 20, 2011 at 6:26 AM

Don’t quit your day job at McDonalds infinitelyprolonged

6. wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 6:32 AM

How dare you suggest I work at McDonalds!

I am in fact Poet in Residence (Trainee) at my local kindergarten!

I am inspired by the works of the great Scottish poet, William Topaz McGonagall.

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I applaud your use of the limerick in matters baseball.But beware, there are a lot of poetically challenged people in these parts.
      Our summer workshop is in a dumpy Irish pub across from a shuttered mall on Business rte.17 in Myrtle Beach SC where the tv’s are set to Yankees games.

• Roger Moore - May 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM

But you’re not supposed to use limericks for baseball. Everyone knows baseball poetry is supposed to be in iambic heptameter.

• phukyouk - May 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM

there once was a man from Nantucket
        and the stories about him were GREATLY exaggerated.

• Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I think maybe your subject matter would be better inspired by that immortal baseball poet Phill Rizzuto. O Holy Cow (http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Cow-Selected-Verse-Rizzuto/dp/0880013257) which is rivalled among the venerable chapbooks only by, perhaps, E. E. Cummings.

The 16th century English atrocitist, George Wither, was, is, and always will be the worst poet who ever lived. His poetry is the rhetorical equivalent of Roberto Benigni’s Pinocchio. When Alexander Pope refers to you as “the wretched Withers” you suck unto immortality and there’s no forgiveness from history.

McGonagal is just the flavor of the month.

• wowbaggertheinfinitelyprolonged - May 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM

McGonagall’s “Tay Bridge Disaster” must be one of the worst poems ever, only surpassed by the writings of Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM

So…you’re five?

7. Brian Murphy - May 20, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Collmenter’s motion has mesmerized me. It looks like a mixture of Brandon Webb and Chris Young. So, his season-ending, career-threatening shoulder surgery should be just around the bend.

8. kiwicricket - May 20, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Fren-chie fren-chie fren-chie…….I’m almost sick of the Royals snapping up all the best free agents

• sportsdrenched - May 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Should I tell GMDM that you’re interested in Jeff Suppan?

9. philly56 - May 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM

So where was vance worley lastnight?  Oh yeah, that’s right – the idiot phillies put him back down to the minors apparently without even making sure blanton’s fat elbow was good enough for him to just give him up 5/6 runs instead of 10/12 every start.

Not that it really matters though, because I pretty much assume every game scheduled to have blanton on the mound is a gauranteed loss and lastnight was doomed from the get-go.

• bigxrob - May 20, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I would guess that worley was sent down so he could keep starting and be ready for when Blanton needs season ending elbow surgery. At least, that is what I am assuming is going to happen to Blanton.

10. kiwicricket - May 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I think Kendrick has a phobia of starting a baseball game. He does pretty well squirreled-away in the pen, but drops his bundle when he has to kick off. I think Kylie has found his ecological niche in the mid-late innings and the Pheelies should just bring in a young buck for the 5th spot. *Unless someone hoovers a few pounds of blubber out of Blanton(and his elbow)

• bigxrob - May 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM

You must have missed yesterdays conversation where it was proved* that it doesn’t matter when a pitcher pitches, he is just there to get outs, regardless of the situation.

*not really

• kiwicricket - May 20, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Ha! I think I remember but it all gets a bit unfurled when ‘bicepts’ joins the party. Tend to lose interest at that point. *No offence to ‘bicepts’

11. drmonkeyarmy - May 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I am getting a bit tired of Phillies fans and I am a Phillies fan. When did we turn into whiny little b**ches? Honestly, everybody is whining….Charlie is an idiot, RAJ doesn’t know what he is doing, the training staff should be fired, the team sucks, etc. Stop the damn whining and support the team. If you don’t have the stomach for the ups and downs of a 162 regular season, then pick something else to follow. I’m just tired of the constant negativity of the fans.

• bigxrob - May 20, 2011 at 8:30 AM

halladaysbicepts hasn’t even posted his whining today…..yet

• kiwicricket - May 20, 2011 at 8:41 AM

But JEEZZZUUUSSSS CCHHHRRRISSSSTTT bigxrob!!! They just lost 1 game!!!! A 40yr old hit 3 Hr’s!! Out pitching stinks!!!! Arrrhhhhh!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - May 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM

For real Drmonkeyarmy. Now just don’t forget that writing or typing ______ is an idiot as you did above is still blasphemy even if you’re quoting some moron, who just doesn’t know any better. Blasphemy I say!!!

• paperlions - May 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I haven’t noticed any change in the amount of whining/bitching/bile by Philly fans, just in the focus of it. Before, Philly fans whined that player X didn’t get enough respect, that people that thought Howard’s extension was a bad idea were just “haters” (that extension starts next year…how’s that looking?), that the team in general was under appreciated by the national media for its awesomeness, and so on…. Now the whining/bitching/bile has simply turned from that outward focus to whining about the team itself….essentially bitching that the things people have been saying are a team weakness are….you know….weaknesses.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 20, 2011 at 9:40 AM

There is a difference between pointing out team weaknesses and constant negative bitching. I’m not even saying that it is this particular blog, because it’s not. It is more comments and twitter stuff that I read over at philly.com It is just ridiculous because of a poor run of form to start moaning about how terrible so and so is or how awful management is. Furthermore, you got people saying that they aren’t going to watch the Phillies anymore, not sure if they are going to use their ticket tonight, etc. It is just fair weather fan bullshit.

• paperlions - May 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM

That, I understand. Obviously, I don’t have exposure to that level of direct Philly fan comments/reactions. Part of the problem may just be a fan base that became over-enamored with some of its players that were never as good/great as the fans decided they were (oddly enough, I think they’ve always under-rated Utley). When people start to argue silly things like Joe Blanton for Rasmus would be a feasible deal and Blanton would be a mid-rotation starter on most teams, perspective on how good your team’s players are might be a bit off….and by a bit, I mean a lot.

For a similar reason to the one you explain, I don’t read the comments at most Cardinal blogs and avoid all of them for articles in the local paper….there are only so many uninformed, poorly thought out opinions I can handle (whether positive or negative).

• Jonny 5 - May 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Drmonkeyarmy, I hate to read the comment section at Philly.com. It’s as if all the commenters are trolls. Or as you said, fair weather fans. Also I noticed that Philly fans are painted with a very wide brush by far too many people. People who claim to be reasonable.

• paperlions - May 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM

For the record, I have never claimed to be reasonable, and if I did, I was being unreasonable at the time.

12. Lukehart80 - May 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I would prefer that Fausto not face the Whie Sox anymore, they’ve got his number. I don’t just mean last night or Opening day either: a 6.08 ERA and 1.53 WHIP in 15 games.

Also, Giambi’s feat made him the second oldest player in history (Stan Musial) to hit three home runs in a game.

13. uyf1950 - May 20, 2011 at 8:38 AM

The Yankees offense exploded and CC pitched a lights out game. This was about as a dominating performance by the offense of a Yankees team as I have seen in a while. CC was has just as dominating on the mound 8 innings, 0 runs (earned or unearned), 9 SO and 0 walks. That’s just my opinion.
    The Yankees are within 1 of the AL East lead (with 2 games in hand as they say)and the only American League team to have a winning record at home and on the road.

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Haven’t seen that many meatballs served up since the streetfest in Little Italy.We didn’t have anyone hit for the cycle cause it would have been impossible to hit a single last night. Glad the O’s returned to form, we don’t need any extra trouble coming out of Yankee Stadium South.
      A better test will be early next week when cur68’s Jays come to town. And, yes, I’ve already looked beyond the Metropolitans. Sorry, BC.

• cur68 - May 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM

If we have Adam Lind back, my boys will grind the Yankee’s bones to dust. If not then you might as well flip a coin.

14. Jonny 5 - May 20, 2011 at 8:40 AM

If it weren’t for that Dastardly Giambi, My Phills would have eeked out another win by a run. *Correction to the above Jason Giambi 7, Phillies 1.

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Theeeee Giambinoooooooo!!!

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 9:15 AM

BTW, this is more car than baseball…Jason used to drive a bitchin’ black Mercedes, the biggest sedan they make, a far cry from those 4 door Porsches that other players seem to have stolen all the time.Bergen County Police probably couldn’t cath him in their scrawny Impalas.

• cur68 - May 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Was it a Maybach?

• Jonny 5 - May 20, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Duuuude, Giambi owns an Eleanor. It’s pushing 500 hp too. Unless he sold it.

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM

cur68-Probably, was goin’ a little lightning
        Jonny- He has (had?) a stable.

• cur68 - May 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Maybachs r’ cool. You’d need the income of a pro athlete to keep filling the tank as it gets 10 mpg, but man that is a sweet ride. Does he drive it himself or does he have a driver? I bet he drives it. I would. You could apply for your commercial shipping license after piloting one of those around.

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I saw him 2-3 times driving himself, given the timing, looked like a gameday thing.

15. Phillies Homer - May 20, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Two things I thought was worth a comment:

1) Down 5-0, in the rain (not drizzle, rain!), watching Kyle Kendrick pitch… and the Phillies still had more fans in their seats than you would find at any Braves/Nats/Marlins/Rays/Pirates etc… game! That’s all you need to know about Phillies fans.

2) I checked my ESPN mobile app after Giambi’s 3 run homer, in the first inning. It had a new interface and one of the new items was the “Expected Outcome Probability”… which had the Rockies winning at 100%! Obviously a little glitch… but made me chuckle since I can’t remember the last time the Phillies scored more than 3 runs.

• vintage1496 - May 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Right, because Phillies fans have ALWAYS sold out every game. It’s not something that JUST started happening when they started winning.

Philadelphia record and attendance-
      2000: 65-97 (13 of 16 in attendance)
      2001: 86-86 (14th)
      2002: 80-81 (14th)
      2003: 86-76 (10th)
      2004: 86-76 (2nd) (CBP opens)
      2005: 88-74 (9th)
      2006: 85-77 (7th)
      2007: 89-73 (6th)
      2008: 92-70 (4th)
      2009: 93-69 (2nd)
      2010: 97-65 (1st)

… wait…

• Phillies Homer - May 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Yea, agreed it’s the Phillies record and success that got all those fans there…

But, it’s Phillies fans that stayed in their seats watching a bad pitcher pitch, with an anything but inspiring offense, in the rain, after giving the Rockies a 5 run head start.

That was more of my point. I’m sorry you wasted so much time looking up the attendance/record for the past 10 years.

• kiwicricket - May 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Nice work

• Jonny 5 - May 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM

All that says is Phillies fans weren’t packing the stadium until the team was playing above the .500 mark. And they still ranked pretty well for a team that playing below .500.

• vintage1496 - May 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM

13, 14, 14, and 10 out of 16 teams is not ranking pretty well in my book. But you are correct, fans packed the stadium when the team played above .500.

This isn’t an attack on Philadelphia fans, as all fanbases tend to fluctuate based upon the team’s performance. Just don’t pat yourself on the back for being some kind of uber-fan – if the Brewers had Halladay/Lee/Oswalt, I’m sure they’d sit in the rain and watch a last-second replacement pitcher, too.

• Phillies Homer - May 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I’m a little confused why you would just compare 16 teams? I’m presuming only the NL was factored in… but why?

But, again… not my main point. I’m fully aware success and attendance go hand in hand. I just felt the fans sitting in the stands watching bad baseball was worth noting.

• vintage1496 - May 20, 2011 at 1:44 PM

You are correct, it was just NL teams. I actually didn’t compile those statistics, I copied them from a comment on a previous story that stuck in my head for some reason. I don’t know where to find attendance figures, so that old comment was my only source of info.

Upon further review, I think your point is valid. Very worth noting. Glad we could debate like gentleman, one of the many reasons I love the HBT message board!

16. cur68 - May 20, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Blue Jays 3, Rays 2 is worth a paper on the collective? Careful there Craig. This sounds vaguely commie. While presenting the paper make mention that our catcher is now tied with all other catchers for homers @ 9. J.P. Arencebia seems determined to fill the void Adam Lind has left.

I watched a bit of the A’s vs. Twins, expecting the Twins to get hammered. Instead I saw an occurrence of the new black and then David Purcey take over. Soon as I saw Purcey I immediately looked at his feet. Size 17. Really, REALLY big feet. Green shoes though. If he’d had the white ones on . . . well the mind boggles.

Would someone make mention about how it’s been 3 games since Bautista has hit a homer and then some additional comments lamenting his demise? Hell, it worked for Giambi, didn’t it?

I think its the Astros tonight; in town to play some designatedhitterball. I am a tingle with excitement (or fever; I can’ tell anymore).

Well I’m off to try to golf with the flu; I anticipate being able to recount exactly how much “bilateral leg weakness” affects your swing.

When ryanmallettsbluntwrap’s sock puppet “curr68″ turns up to make his obligatory pass at Bautista will someone pat him on his little cranium and give him a cookie for me?

FORE! (cough, sputter, hack up, blow nose aaaaaand repeat…)

17. hermitfool - May 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Any estimate on how many more “oblique attacks” it will take for MLB to ban creatine?

18. girardisbraces - May 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM

And the Yankees have now gone 337 straight games WITHOUT a complete game. Most in ML history. Pretty sad when the Phils and Doc Halladay have a complete game loss every other week….

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Yeah um, not true. Sabathia technically had back to back complete games last year. On 4/16 he had a CG win against Texas in a rain shortened game, then the next game he took a CG loss to Oak on 4/22.

19. Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Normally, Feesh and veesitors stenk after three days, but the Feesh have now demonstrated that in times of social crisis it is possible to steenk in a two-game series as well. The Teal Tooters couldn’t muster much of anything against the Accursed, except for one Iron Giant skyrocket, and even that one never fired its second stage. Hanley “Manos de Piedra” Ramirez is just killing them these days; he’s got eight errors already and he’s swinging more like Tiger Woods than the 2009 batting champ. Omar Infante, the un-Uggla, is making for Rio Mendoza like a Jet Blue airbus with two engines full of gulls. Ricky Nolasco gave up five in five and claimed that he was pitching great. This is beginning to feel like the last seven years again, just a month or so earlier than usual.

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Complaining like this already, and you’re still six games above the altruistic implicator.

• Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Altruistic only because Scrooge McLoria made such a gift of his largesse to John Buck during the offseason. The implications, though, are much less surfeit with bonhomie: the Feesh have smacked hard into the halocline and seem to be waiting around there for the beeger feesh to come slurp them up. I hate to say this but the Infante trade is looking more and more like the boner of the season, and I also suspect the Feesh are really gonna regret letting Maybin go someday soon.

• APBA Guy - May 20, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Teal Tooters. That actually works.

20. spudchukar - May 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Contrary to the second-place Reds whining about our supposed whining, when our injured cannot answer the bell, we look inward, recognize the challenge we have planned for and insert said sub. Without Wainwright, Tallet, Augenstein, Freese, Schumaker, Punto, Holliday, Berkman, and a resting Molina, our chess master, TLR, once again pulled the perfect strings, and we patched together our 4th straight win. One cannot overstate the dominance of our starting staff. And the Salas/Sanchez duo has at least for the time being, solidified the bull pen. Granted it was the lowly Astros, but as we once again sit atop the NL Central we head into interleague play with a gang that is beginning to display the magic of contenders. Beware, Pheelies your NL best record mantra is in danger of becoming a memory. Goin’ to Kansas City, Kansas City here we come, crazy little city, gonna have us some fun..

• Chris Fiorentino - May 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I’m just curious…when did you join the Cardinals? Or have you ever played for them? Coached? Bat boy? Did you ever do a fantasy camp maybe? No? Then enough with the OUR and WE ok? You sound like you are in the 7th grade…and I mean no offense to any 7th graders who may be reading this post. In fact, spud, if you are in the 7th grade, then I apologize in advance.

• spudchukar - May 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Yes, I wore the Cardinal uniform from 1973-1975.

• yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Is that you, Keith Hernandez? I feel like we’re on What’s My Line?

• Chris Fiorentino - May 20, 2011 at 12:55 PM

If that is true, then I stand corrected and you have special dispensation to use We and Our to refer to the Cardinals without it being a violation.

I am an AVID baseball card collector…what’s your name and I would love to check out your cards from those years. I have complete sets from 1968 through the early 80’s when they actually had some value. I stopped when they started printing 7 bazillion cards a year.

• spudchukar - May 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Sorry, AA, was as far as I got.

21. APBA Guy - May 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Before everyone gets too excited about the Morneau resurgence, let’s be aware that practically everything the A’s threw up, take that both ways, yesterday was above the belt, center cut. The Twins got 11 runs, and I think blindfolded monkeys would have gotten 5 runs.

The ramifications of Ross out for anywhere between 2-4 weeks are pretty serious for the A’s, who are once again at .500. The expectation is that Josh Outman, a lefty coming back from TJ, will come up, as he had some success in the majors a few years ago, even though he hasn’t sparkled in the minors this year. So it’s the White Rabbit, Mr. Anderson and Gio, then McCarthy and Outman. Still not bad, as McCarthy is respectable as a #5, but away from the big Mausoleum he will be exposed in the #4 role. But clearly he and Outman represent question marks for the A’s who already start 9 question marks on offense. Fortunately the bullpen sans Bailey is not bad, yesterday’s 10 bullpen runs were mainly off Trystan “ver” Magnussen, lately seen scuttling back to Sacramento via the shuttle, so any miraculous leads late in the game are usually safe.

But despite Beane in the recovery ward and the offense, 12th out of 14 in the AL, struggling mightily, the A’s stand only 1 game back of the Rangers in the battle of the Team Physicians. According to the Great Beane, the end of May is when the team assessment is completed and the team collectively decides if they are contenders or not, and if so, who they need to acquire to make a run. In 2006 the A’s were leading the division but the Great and Powerful Beane felt that would be a good time to pack it in and the A’s have been mired in less-than-mediocrity since. What will Beane do this year? The “crowds” have been ok so far, by Oakland standards, but another white flag June and those crowds will dwindle further even as the weather turns from wonderful to incredible.

• handsfour - May 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM

“packing it in” in 2006? Isn’t that when they reached the ALCS?
      and not to be too nitpicky, but at least last year, when they were .500 and establishing the exciting young pitching staff, wouldn’t seem to qualify as “less than mediocre.”

• APBA Guy - May 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

You’re right about 2006, I meant 2008 for the swoon, must be getting old, so more research less memory is called for.

Less than mediocre is subjective, and has more to do with style of play and chance to get above .500. Overall their record from 2007:

2007: 76-86
        2008: 75-86
        2009: 75-87
        2010: 81-81
        2011: 22-22

I’ll go with less than mediocre over that period, now emerging into mere mediocrity.

• handsfour - May 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM

that 2007-09 period was remarkably, um, consistent…

22. garlicfriesandbaseball - May 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Re Jason Giambi ~ “my little foray into reverse psychology worked” ~ nice recovery Craig!

All the trade deadline news to know