May 20, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Oakland lost two-fifths of the starting rotation to the disabled list today, with Tyson Ross going on the shelf with a strained oblique and Brandon McCarthy revealing that he has a stress reaction in his shoulder.
Ross was already filling in for an injured Dallas Braden, who’s now out for the season following shoulder surgery, so the A’s rotation depth is suddenly being tested in a big way.
McCarthy has a long history of injuries, so this setback is unfortunate after he resuscitated his career by winning a rotation spot in spring training and then posting a 3.29 ERA with a 37/10 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
Oakland added some pitching reinforcements in the form of Joey Devine, Jerry Blevins, and Fautino De Los Santos, but with all three of those guys being relievers they will have some other moves coming shortly.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)