May 20, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Oakland lost two-fifths of the starting rotation to the disabled list today, with Tyson Ross going on the shelf with a strained oblique and Brandon McCarthy revealing that he has a stress reaction in his shoulder.
Ross was already filling in for an injured Dallas Braden, who’s now out for the season following shoulder surgery, so the A’s rotation depth is suddenly being tested in a big way.
McCarthy has a long history of injuries, so this setback is unfortunate after he resuscitated his career by winning a rotation spot in spring training and then posting a 3.29 ERA with a 37/10 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
Oakland added some pitching reinforcements in the form of Joey Devine, Jerry Blevins, and Fautino De Los Santos, but with all three of those guys being relievers they will have some other moves coming shortly.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (113)