Asdrubal Cabrera makes an insane flip to start a double play

May 20, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT

Asdrubal Cabrera DP.bmp

One of the big reasons the Indians have been winning this year is their defense. One of the reasons their defense has been good is because Asdrubal Cabrera plays some sharp shortstop.  And here’s a great play he made last night that most guys aren’t gonna make.

It helps if you whistle “Sweet Georgia Brown” while watching it.

1. sknut - May 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Dang that was a sweet play. I liked how natural the back hand flip to second was.

• marshmallowsnake - May 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM

The barehanded grab was better then the flip. That takes way more concentration.

2. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - May 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Great play, and pretty fitting that the batter was Omar Vizquel, who made his share of similar jaw dropping plays in his career with the Tribe.

3. APBA Guy - May 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Wow! I’m used to seeing great middle infield work in Oakland (Ellis and Pennington) but that’s really special. It’s an Indians world this year.

4. circomassimo - May 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Craig — I’ve enjoyed your entries since the site was created, here but this is the first time I’ve commented.

Any change you could keep tabs on some of these sweet plays? Brandon Phillips’ between-the-legs play comes to mind as another, and I believe there was a great play at first base earlier in the season involving a St. Louis pitcher, plus two or three jaw-dropping outfield plays. But I tune into MLB games from Europe (i.e., I miss a lot) and so I bet there are others I’m unaware of.

A collection like that could make for a nice column at the end of the season. Readers could even vote on the best one. And perhaps most importantly, it’d give us all a compact highlight reel to click on and marvel over once the season’s over and spring training is still months away.

If you think there would be too many, maybe you could divide it into two, with a section each for before and after the All-Star break.

What do you think?

5. tribester - May 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Wow. Awesome grab, good flip and he made sure the utility infielder was ready for it.

6. swisher4mayor - May 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM

that is an outstanding play. i haven’t seen a play like this in a while. its rlly unlikely to see the cleveland indians playing this well defensively. no wonder why they r so good this year. great play. nice barehand and the flip

7. Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Saw that play this AM on the big screen at my local cafe Cubano while in the midst of trying to swallow a mouthfull of huevos pericos. Damned near choked on it. Great freaking play.

8. aceshigh11 - May 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Damnnnn…that was badass in extremis.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic