May 20, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
At least that’s how it seems right now.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal that Chase Utley would be the designated hitter with High-A Clearwater tonight before playing in the field again Saturday. After that? They’ll “reassess” where he’s at.
Utley has yet to play in three consecutive games in the field during his minor league rehab assignment, but Amaro doesn’t think that would necessary stand in the way of his return.
“Frankly I don’t know how many games he’s going to play three in a row here.,” Amaro said. “We may be in a situation when he comes in the big leagues where he’s one game on, one game off, two games on, one game off. He might play three games – I don’t know. A lot will depend on how he feels. But I think we’re going to have to monitor him when he gets here.”
Hm, sounds like he could be back sooner rather than later wouldn’t you say?
By the way, entering tonight’s action, Phillies’ second basemen are batting a pathetic .234/.284/.290 with a .574 OPS this season. Yes, the National League’s best team is about to get much better.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17