Diamondbacks owner calls for a ban on smokeless tobacco

May 20, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Nellie Fox

We’ve heard from outside advocacy groups, politicians and basement bloggers on the matter of smokeless tobacco in baseball — and Bud Selig has said he would propose a ban in the upcoming labor negotiations — but this USA Today editorial by Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick may be the first time someone who actually has a seat at baseball’s big boy table has strongly advocated in favor of banning smokeless tobacco in baseball.

Click for the editorial, but say for Kendrick’s gratuitous mention of the fact that he owns a Honus Wagner T-206 card!

As I’ve said before, I’m usually the last person who responds to “think of the children” appeals, but this is one of the rare instances where I think it applies. Ask Brett Butler.  If that is Brett Butler, anyway. Might be Chris Cooper playing Brett Butler in a biopic. Not sure.

Anyway: ban the junk at the ballpark, baseball.

1. yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Arizonans seem big on the bans lately.

2. kopy - May 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Just don’t take away my Big League Chew!

3. schrutebeetfarms - May 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I really don’t see the need for this.

When thinking of the children, I think children are much more affected by the fans who have had 8 too many beers who are cursing and acting like idiots in the stands.

It’s a legal product. Children cannot purchase this product until they are 18. And at 18 years old, most kids aren’t thinking anymore of “I want to be like (insert ball player here).”

I would venture a guess that parents have more of an effect on kids who start using tobacco than any ball player.

4. tuftsb - May 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

A filty, nasty habit. I try to supress years of memories of players drooling brown spit all over their uniforms or spitting on your shoes when you were not looking.

5. cleareye1 - May 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Ch]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

A disgusting habit, comparable to picking your nose in public all the time. I’d like to hear what women think of smooching a guy who’s drooling brown slime from his lips?

Do the players a favor and outlaw it.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4077)