May 20, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
This play, in the ninth inning of yesterday’s Nationals-Mets game, is a blown call. The throw from Justin Turner clearly pulled Daniel Murphy off the bag and Jayson Werth should have been safe at first. Given that it was a 1-0 game, that was pretty important. Given that the call was so obviously blown, you can understand why Jim Riggleman, Werth and everyone in a gray uniform was a bit miffed with umpire Phil Cuzzi.
But at some point you’re supposed to stop arguing with the ump. And in no event are general managers supposed to seek out the umpire after the game is over and continue to berate him. Unfortunately, no one gave Mike Rizzo that memo, because he allegedly did that after the game, and the umpires have apparently sent a report to Joe Torre about it.
Cuzzi is no stranger to botched plays, of course. He famously blew that fair/foul call in the 2009 ALDS, depriving Joe Mauer of hit. Last year he blew a call that cost the Giants a game — and gave it to the Mets — ruling that Travis Ishikawa slid under Henry Blanco‘s tag at the plate when even Blanco said Ishikawa was clearly safe.
But the guy in the suit berating the ump is not the way to handle that kind of thing, and no doubt Rizzo’s wallet is going to be lighter as a result.
- Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 0
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 74
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)