May 20, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
This play, in the ninth inning of yesterday’s Nationals-Mets game, is a blown call. The throw from Justin Turner clearly pulled Daniel Murphy off the bag and Jayson Werth should have been safe at first. Given that it was a 1-0 game, that was pretty important. Given that the call was so obviously blown, you can understand why Jim Riggleman, Werth and everyone in a gray uniform was a bit miffed with umpire Phil Cuzzi.
But at some point you’re supposed to stop arguing with the ump. And in no event are general managers supposed to seek out the umpire after the game is over and continue to berate him. Unfortunately, no one gave Mike Rizzo that memo, because he allegedly did that after the game, and the umpires have apparently sent a report to Joe Torre about it.
Cuzzi is no stranger to botched plays, of course. He famously blew that fair/foul call in the 2009 ALDS, depriving Joe Mauer of hit. Last year he blew a call that cost the Giants a game — and gave it to the Mets — ruling that Travis Ishikawa slid under Henry Blanco‘s tag at the plate when even Blanco said Ishikawa was clearly safe.
But the guy in the suit berating the ump is not the way to handle that kind of thing, and no doubt Rizzo’s wallet is going to be lighter as a result.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)