May 20, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
Washington general manager Mike Rizzo denied reports that he’s under investigation by MLB for confronting umpires following Thursday’s game against the Mets.
The AP reports that Rizzo said he contacted Joe Torre, MLB’s vice president of operations, immediately after Thursday’s game in New York, but he wouldn’t provide details of the conversation.
Nationals manager Jim Riggleman, third-base coach Bo Porter and catcher Ivan Rodriguez all complained Thursday after first-base umpire Phil Cuzzi wrongly ruled Jayson Werth out on a game-ending play versus the Mets. Reports said that Rizzo clashed with Cuzzi after the game, causing the umpiring crew to file a report with Torre.
Rizzo, though, told CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman that he did not confront the umpires about Cuzzi’s call.
“What happened last night postgame had absolutely nothing to do with arguing, or anything to do with the play that happened at first base,” he said.
Rizzo also indicated that he didn’t expect to be fined.
“I trust Joe Torre explicitly,” Rizzo said. “I know he’ll do the right thing by it, and we’ll see the results.”
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)