May 20, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
Washington general manager Mike Rizzo denied reports that he’s under investigation by MLB for confronting umpires following Thursday’s game against the Mets.
The AP reports that Rizzo said he contacted Joe Torre, MLB’s vice president of operations, immediately after Thursday’s game in New York, but he wouldn’t provide details of the conversation.
Nationals manager Jim Riggleman, third-base coach Bo Porter and catcher Ivan Rodriguez all complained Thursday after first-base umpire Phil Cuzzi wrongly ruled Jayson Werth out on a game-ending play versus the Mets. Reports said that Rizzo clashed with Cuzzi after the game, causing the umpiring crew to file a report with Torre.
Rizzo, though, told CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman that he did not confront the umpires about Cuzzi’s call.
“What happened last night postgame had absolutely nothing to do with arguing, or anything to do with the play that happened at first base,” he said.
Rizzo also indicated that he didn’t expect to be fined.
“I trust Joe Torre explicitly,” Rizzo said. “I know he’ll do the right thing by it, and we’ll see the results.”
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)