Oh my stars and garters, Andre Ethier flipped a photographer the bird

May 20, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Andre Ethier flipped the bird: During batting practice before Monday’s game against the Brewers, Ethier was snapped givin’ the finger to a photographer. And actually, the AP story uses the phrase “flipping  his middle fingers at a photographer,” so it may have been the rare but always impressive double-barrel salute. I like that kind of moxy. UPDATE: oh yeah, it was the double-deuce. WARNING: have your fainting couch handy if you click through to those pics.

The Dodgers and Major League Baseball don’t like that kind of moxy, however, so they made Ethier apologize yesterday. Though it wasn’t the most contrite apology. The L.A. Times runs his comments, and it really sounds like he’s more interested in complaining about the photographer than anything else.

Which is fine by me. I mean, sure, I suppose the photographer could retain Gloria Allred tomorrow and hold a press conference reenacting the incident, but I’m guessing he’s seen worse before.  If I were the Dodgers I’d prefer it if my players didn’t flip the bird to photographers, but given that my family — including my wife, my mom, my grandmother and everyone ever — has a habit of flipping off any other family member who ever tries to take a picture, I don’t have much room to talk.

Really, it’s uncanny. I have a picture somewhere of my great aunt Ruth flipping me the bird when she was 86 years old. Why? “Because you’re probably going to use that picture for my obituary.”  Well no, now that you shot me the bird, I can’t really do that, can I Ruchel?

Oh well. It was a lot funnier before digital cameras and bird-bombing a pic burnt up actual film.

1. andrewf16 - May 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Damn, he got him with both barrels. And then again in a different stance evidently, just for good measure.

How is the photographer going to take pictures now with his face melted off?

2. kiwicricket - May 20, 2011 at 8:58 AM

As far as hereditary diseases go, that’s about as good as it gets Craig.

3. yankeesfanlen - May 20, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Bird bombing a pic? Please explain in other than the vernacular of the bovine.

• The Dangerous Mabry - May 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM

He means “flipping the bird” when someone’s taking a picture of you. Before digital cameras, that wasted actual film, since they weren’t going to use that picture. With digital cameras, it just doesn’t matter, since you can take 8 zillion pictures and if you get one you don’t like, you just hit “delete”.

4. PastyRasta - May 20, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Craig check out Big Lead Sports they broke the story yesterday including photos. He lobbed some double barrel action as well as the standard single finger bird. But does it count if his thumbs are sticking up too? I always wondered that.

5. PastyRasta - May 20, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Oh they also said he “flicked” off reporters. What is “flicking” off?

• wlschneider09 - May 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

When a booger is carefully applied before the extension of the middle finger.

6. The Dangerous Mabry - May 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Pssshh! The double deuce!

Hopefully, he’ll try some of the other techniques in the future.

7. Old Gator - May 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM

A bird is too little, too late for a shutteroach. What he should have done is held the idiot’s head down in a bucket of Gatorade until the bubbles stopped coming up.

8. APBA Guy - May 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I can’t read any Ethier story without thinking Ethier-CarGo-Nelson Cruz: the A’s outfield that could have been. Far too painful. Please have Tiffany relate all stories involving any or all of those 3 in the future.

9. Chris Fiorentino - May 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM

True story…nothing to do with flipping the bird or anything…I was on a plane to Vegas with a couple friend in September of 2009 on US Airways. And the flight attendant was talking to my friend about something…he had asked for a pillow or something. She was probably late 40s or early 50s. Really nice lady. So she says…”Do you follow baseball?” My friend does not…he’s a hockey guy…but I said “Yeah, I do why?” She said he son plays baseball for the dodgers. I said really…what’s his name…thinking she meant a minor league dodger team or something. She said “Andre Ethier”. I was thinking…wow…I did see some resemblance there. Then I thought…WTF…why would his mom be working as a flight attendant when her son is making over 3 million. Then I fell asleep and forgot about it until I just saw him flipping the double bird and I wondered what his mom thought of that…then I thought of that story.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2931)