May 20, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
If you were wondering why Orlando Cabrera wasn’t the one taking that sweet throw from Asdrubal Cabrera in the highlight from last night, it’s because he left the Indians yesterday to go to South Carolina where he is being naturalized as a U.S. citizen. Which is cool, though I’m not sure why it has to happen in South Carolina. Red tape.
As the article notes, you have to take a test on American history and civics to become a citizen. When I was in New York a few weeks ago, I was killing time at an airport newsstand where one employee was quizzing the other on the citizenship test. The woman answering the questions got every one right and was clearly set to ace it. I bet there are a huge number of Americans who would fail it miserably.
Kind of makes me wish that they gave it to the folks born here. If you fail you get exiled to a ship floating in international waters for an intensive study session and they you take it again. Fail it three times, you gotta work on the ship. The best part: the people sent to the ship will, by definition, be too dumb to realize that the whole setup is unconstitutional. Foolproof, I tells ya!
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)