RIP, Randy Savage: Before the “Macho Man” Randy Poffo was a minor league baseball player

May 20, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT

macho-man

Some very sad news from the wrestling world, as Randy “Macho Man” Savage died this morning in a car accident at age 58.

This isn’t a wrestling blog, so you’ll have to indulge me a bit, but as someone who grew up watching the WWF on Saturday mornings and used to jump off the couch after shouting “oooohhh yeah!” the news is an elbow drop to my childhood.

Most people know Savage from his great wrestling career or maybe from those Slim Jim commercials, but before he adopted the Macho Man persona Randy Poffo was a minor-league baseball player who spent 1971-1974 playing in the Cardinals’ and Reds’ farm systems.

Baseball-Reference.com has all his statistics, which I recommend viewing alongside this video of Savage and Miss Elizabeth entering the ring. He debuted at rookie-ball as an 18-year-old in 1971, hitting .286 with a .492 slugging percentage, and advanced to high Single-A before calling it quits with a .254 batting average in 289 career games.

RIP, Macho Man.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM

According to the slightly more acceptable NY Post (a small notch above TMZ), he crashed due to a heart attack.

2. nps6724 - May 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM

IIRC, he suffered a knee injury that stalled his baseball career.

3. Jonny 5 - May 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM

A guy I work with says he has a baseball card with him on it. Is there such a thing?

4. bobwsc - May 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM

roughly 39 seconds in you’ll hear one of the best “oohhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaa” rips ever. RIP Macho.

5. skerney - May 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM

This sad news makes me say whatever the opposite of “OOOHHH YEAAAHHH!” is. I hope they play Pomp and Circumstance at his funeral.

6. winkeroni - May 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I’m not feeling so macho right now. RIP.

7. frightwig - May 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM

It makes me smile to discover that The Macho man was once a Tampa Tarpon. (Vandals and parody t-shirt entrepreneurs must have loved that team.)

8. ernestbynershands - May 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Are you sure it was a car wreck? And not Rapture?

9. stankfinger - May 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

RIP Mach :(

10. bjavie - May 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Dude, the chick in that picture is like 70 years old. Take a good look. Might be a relative of Tammy Fay. Well, at least he knew death was at his door.

Sorry, bad taste.

RIP Macho Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. APBA Guy - May 20, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Now that video takes me back: commentary by Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse “Gov of Minnesota” Ventura. And Miss Elizabeth isn’t 70, that’s age due to “dieting”. RIP Macho Macho Man.

12. schmedley69 - May 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM

One of my favorite wrestlers, and also a legendary rapper:

13. goforthanddie - May 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM

One of the very best ever :'(

14. liltifer - May 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Randy probably saw all the steroid use going on in the minors and figured “I’ll never compete, here. I’m going to Pro Rasslin”

Too soon?