May 20, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
“We have to bring him at the right time for us … And we have to make sure it’s the right time, so when he comes to the big leagues it’s not a situation where we’re questioning whether he should be in the big leagues or not … When it’s time for him to come to the big leagues, he has to be ready to be a big-league player in a lot of different facets of the game.”
I guess Brown has learned a lot in the past 48 hours, because the Phillies just announced that they’re calling him up. Shane Victorino is going on disabled list.
Brown has been absolutely raking down at Lehigh Valley, sporting a line of .341/.431/.537. Meanwhile, the Phillies offense — particularly Raul Ibanez — has been gasping for air.
Is Brown a sure thing? No. He struggled last year in 70 plate appearances following similarly gaudy AAA numbers. But he’s another year older now and clearly has nothing left to prove at the minor league level. If he does have major league flaws, the best way to fix them will be to work through them on the job in the bigs. Besides, he’s 23 now and turns 24 in September. It’s just time for him to be up.
And the fact is, the Phillies need him, and there’s a lot of reason to believe that he can help. That’s good enough for me.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)