May 20, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
“We have to bring him at the right time for us … And we have to make sure it’s the right time, so when he comes to the big leagues it’s not a situation where we’re questioning whether he should be in the big leagues or not … When it’s time for him to come to the big leagues, he has to be ready to be a big-league player in a lot of different facets of the game.”
I guess Brown has learned a lot in the past 48 hours, because the Phillies just announced that they’re calling him up. Shane Victorino is going on disabled list.
Brown has been absolutely raking down at Lehigh Valley, sporting a line of .341/.431/.537. Meanwhile, the Phillies offense — particularly Raul Ibanez — has been gasping for air.
Is Brown a sure thing? No. He struggled last year in 70 plate appearances following similarly gaudy AAA numbers. But he’s another year older now and clearly has nothing left to prove at the minor league level. If he does have major league flaws, the best way to fix them will be to work through them on the job in the bigs. Besides, he’s 23 now and turns 24 in September. It’s just time for him to be up.
And the fact is, the Phillies need him, and there’s a lot of reason to believe that he can help. That’s good enough for me.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)