May 20, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! has an interesting story up today about long-tossing for pitchers. The upshot: two of the top prospects in this year’s draft are warning teams that ban their pitchers from long-toss drills against selecting them, because they’re all about long-tossing. Included in the anti-long toss crowd: the Royals and Pirates and, according to Passan, about half of all of the teams in baseball.
Of course complicating all of this is that no one has any actual data about whether long-tossing — as opposed to throwing 120 feet with no arc, which the Royals, Pirates and others advocate — is a good thing or a bad thing. The teams think long-tossing is bad, the players believe that long-tossing is good for them, but no one has any freakin’ idea.
If only there was some way to figure this stuff out! Some sort of discipline that begins with observation, moves on to the formation of a hypothesis, tests said hypothesis with some sort of experiment or gathering of empirical data and then compels one to reach a conclusion as to the validity of said hypothesis!
But sadly, there is no such thing in the world.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)