May 20, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! has an interesting story up today about long-tossing for pitchers. The upshot: two of the top prospects in this year’s draft are warning teams that ban their pitchers from long-toss drills against selecting them, because they’re all about long-tossing. Included in the anti-long toss crowd: the Royals and Pirates and, according to Passan, about half of all of the teams in baseball.
Of course complicating all of this is that no one has any actual data about whether long-tossing — as opposed to throwing 120 feet with no arc, which the Royals, Pirates and others advocate — is a good thing or a bad thing. The teams think long-tossing is bad, the players believe that long-tossing is good for them, but no one has any freakin’ idea.
If only there was some way to figure this stuff out! Some sort of discipline that begins with observation, moves on to the formation of a hypothesis, tests said hypothesis with some sort of experiment or gathering of empirical data and then compels one to reach a conclusion as to the validity of said hypothesis!
But sadly, there is no such thing in the world.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)