May 20, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! has an interesting story up today about long-tossing for pitchers. The upshot: two of the top prospects in this year’s draft are warning teams that ban their pitchers from long-toss drills against selecting them, because they’re all about long-tossing. Included in the anti-long toss crowd: the Royals and Pirates and, according to Passan, about half of all of the teams in baseball.
Of course complicating all of this is that no one has any actual data about whether long-tossing — as opposed to throwing 120 feet with no arc, which the Royals, Pirates and others advocate — is a good thing or a bad thing. The teams think long-tossing is bad, the players believe that long-tossing is good for them, but no one has any freakin’ idea.
If only there was some way to figure this stuff out! Some sort of discipline that begins with observation, moves on to the formation of a hypothesis, tests said hypothesis with some sort of experiment or gathering of empirical data and then compels one to reach a conclusion as to the validity of said hypothesis!
But sadly, there is no such thing in the world.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)