May 21, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
The Orioles’ beleaguered bullpen took yet another beating in last night’s blowout loss to the Nationals, so Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that they have decided to activate Alfredo Simon from the restricted list a day earlier than originally expected.
Simon was placed on the restricted list in the early part of spring training while he was being held as the prime suspect in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michel Castillo Almonte in the Dominican Republic. He will still have to stand trial eventually, though he hasn’t been formally charged and no trial date has been set.
The 30-year-old right-hander posted a 3.38 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio across 16 innings over three recent rehab starts with Double-A Bowie. While he led the Orioles with 17 saves last season, he is now expected to serve as a long reliever.
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 18
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 132
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (130)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)