May 21, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
The Diamondbacks released Russell Branyan following last night’s win over the Twins. The move clears room on the roster for Saturday’s starter Micah Owings.
Branyan, who was signed to a minor league deal in February, began the season in a timeshare with Juan Miranda at first base, but his playing time dropped off considerably this month. The veteran slugger batted .210/.290/.339 with one home run and two RBI over 69 plate appearances during his time with the D-Backs. Things didn’t work out in Arizona, but he shouldn’t have a tough time finding a new opportunity.
Owings will replace Armando Galarraga in the starting rotation, who was designated for assignment earlier this week. The 28-year-old was originally drafted by the Diamondbacks in 2005 and posted a 4.97 ERA over two seasons with the club before being traded to the Reds in 2008 as part of the Adam Dunn deal. He had a 4.85 ERA and 27/9 K/BB ratio over his first seven starts with Triple-A Reno this season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?