Gary Carter diagnosed with small tumors on his brain

May 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

PewZLYoB

UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Gary Carter has released the following statement about his condition:

Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility. I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.

My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition.

2:00 PM: Sad news to pass along about Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter.

Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports that Carter has been diagnosed with four small tumors on his brain and will undergo surgery at Duke University Hospital in the next couple of days.

Carter, 57, has been complaining of headaches and forgetfulness in recent days and underwent an MRI earlier today at a hospital near his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The 11-time All-Star has been managing at Palm Beach Atlantic University this season.

We’re all rooting for you, “Kid.”

1. smarterthangirardi - May 21, 2011 at 2:58 PM

this just sucks. ruined my day.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Wonder who the gibbering moron was who clicked the “thumbs down” on you. I do wish they’d ditch this juvenile feature already.

2. cur68 - May 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM

One of the best Expos ever. He’s gotta be ok . . . just gotta.
    Hang in there Gary.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

One of the best Mutts ever, too. There’s no 1986 without him. Pullin’ for ya, Kid.

3. tuftsb - May 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Astroturf in Montreal as the culprit? Monsanto used PVC’s as an adhesive, the industry blocked/compromised medical reports along the way and eventually divested the chemicals divisions after years of lawsuits and government findings. Polyvinyl Chloride is listed as a Class A carcinogen that can cause varied cancers later in life after exposure.

Howser, Quisenberry, McGraw, Carter – and probably more…..

I will pursue this idea in future writings.

• cur68 - May 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I had no idea about the PVC adhesive. My god, that stadium was a disaster, wasn’t it?

• missthemexpos - May 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I remember the Mayor of Montreal saying that the chances of the 76 Olympics loosing money were the same as a man having a baby.

• rdbecker - May 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Fantastic. You go ahead and do that.

• Old Gator - May 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM

And while you’re pursuing it, I do hope you’ll take into consideration that people who have never played on astroturf get brain tumors as well. As did people before cell phones were invented. We know how asbestos fibers flake into the air and enter the lungs. Until we know how PVC adhesive manages to communicate itself through the fabric of Astroturf without peeling it back and taking a snort, we probably ought to be a bit more circumspect in our pop medical theorizing, you know?

4. aceshigh11 - May 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Terrible news. Gary was one of my favorite Mets growing up in the ’80s.

I hope he gets well.

5. classicsportsfan - May 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I didn’t always like the teams Carter played for, but I always liked watching Gary Carter play. Others were more talented at the position, but too few played the game with the passion he did.

6. indaburg - May 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Carter was one of my favorite Mets. This really hits home-my dad, who taught me to love this great sport and took me to my first Mets game when I was a little girl (Dodgers vs. Mets, Valenzuela vs. Mike Scott, Mets won on a Mazzilli home run) was just diagnosed this past week with glioblastoma, a malignant brain tumor. I hope the Kid has better news.

• cur68 - May 22, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I’m really sorry you got news like that about your dad ‘burg. I wish him luck and hope the best for him.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3473)