May 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Gary Carter has released the following statement about his condition:
Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility. I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.
My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition.
2:00 PM: Sad news to pass along about Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter.
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports that Carter has been diagnosed with four small tumors on his brain and will undergo surgery at Duke University Hospital in the next couple of days.
Carter, 57, has been complaining of headaches and forgetfulness in recent days and underwent an MRI earlier today at a hospital near his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The 11-time All-Star has been managing at Palm Beach Atlantic University this season.
We’re all rooting for you, “Kid.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 9
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 9
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)