May 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Gary Carter has released the following statement about his condition:
Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility. I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.
My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition.
2:00 PM: Sad news to pass along about Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter.
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports that Carter has been diagnosed with four small tumors on his brain and will undergo surgery at Duke University Hospital in the next couple of days.
Carter, 57, has been complaining of headaches and forgetfulness in recent days and underwent an MRI earlier today at a hospital near his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The 11-time All-Star has been managing at Palm Beach Atlantic University this season.
We’re all rooting for you, “Kid.”
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)