May 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Gary Carter has released the following statement about his condition:
Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility. I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.
My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition.
2:00 PM: Sad news to pass along about Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter.
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports that Carter has been diagnosed with four small tumors on his brain and will undergo surgery at Duke University Hospital in the next couple of days.
Carter, 57, has been complaining of headaches and forgetfulness in recent days and underwent an MRI earlier today at a hospital near his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The 11-time All-Star has been managing at Palm Beach Atlantic University this season.
We’re all rooting for you, “Kid.”
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 27
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)