May 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Gary Carter has released the following statement about his condition:
Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility. I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.
My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition.
2:00 PM: Sad news to pass along about Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter.
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports that Carter has been diagnosed with four small tumors on his brain and will undergo surgery at Duke University Hospital in the next couple of days.
Carter, 57, has been complaining of headaches and forgetfulness in recent days and underwent an MRI earlier today at a hospital near his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The 11-time All-Star has been managing at Palm Beach Atlantic University this season.
We’re all rooting for you, “Kid.”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 53
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 140
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)