May 21, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Gary Carter has released the following statement about his condition:
Earlier today, I learned that four very small tumors have been found on my brain, following an MRI on Friday at a West Palm Beach facility. I am scheduled to be examined further Thursday at Duke Medical Center, and we will learn more at that time about my diagnosis.
My wife, Sandy, and our children and family thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we learn more about my medical condition.
2:00 PM: Sad news to pass along about Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter.
Bill Madden of the New York Daily News reports that Carter has been diagnosed with four small tumors on his brain and will undergo surgery at Duke University Hospital in the next couple of days.
Carter, 57, has been complaining of headaches and forgetfulness in recent days and underwent an MRI earlier today at a hospital near his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The 11-time All-Star has been managing at Palm Beach Atlantic University this season.
We’re all rooting for you, “Kid.”
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 0
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)