May 21, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
The Indians were 28-47 after 75 games last season. To match that record in 2011, they’d have to lose 32 in a row.
Cleveland again topped Cincinnati by a run Saturday, winning 2-1, and will get a chance to go for a sweep in the battle of Ohio behind Carlos Carrasco on Sunday.
Impressive again was Josh Tomlin, who is now 9-for-9 in turning in quality starts after allowing one run over seven innings. He has an incredible 0.82 WHIP in 59 2/3 innings. Cliff Lee had the game’s best WHIP last year at barely over 1.00 — he allowed 213 hits+walks in 212 1/3 innings. Tomlin has allowed 39 hits and 10 walks so far this year.
Travis Buck was the offensive hero for Cleveland. The Indians need someone to step up in the DH slot with Travis Hafner down, and candidates Buck, Shelley Duncan and Austin Kearns had combined for one homer in 155 at-bats this season before Buck took Homer Bailey deep to give the Indians their only two runs today.
With the victory, the Indians moved to 28-15 this season. No other AL team has fewer than 20 losses.
The Reds dropped to 25-21 by losing their fourth in a row and fell 1 1/2 games behind the Cardinals in the NL Central.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)