May 21, 2011, 4:57 PM EST
A day after exiting his start after three innings with a finger injury, Indians rookie Alex White was placed on the DL Saturday.
The Indians aren’t sure exactly what White did to the finger while throwing a slider in the third inning against the Reds. He did stay in to finish the inning.
“I have no clue what it is. I’ve never had this,” White said Saturday before going for an MRI. “It’s sore and swollen. We’ve been treating it—ice and stuff—but we can’t really do much until we know what the problem is.”
If the injury proves to be minor, it’s not much of a setback for the Indians. They were expected to replace White in the rotation with the rehabbing Mitch Talbot next week anyway. Talbot, who has been out since mid-April with an elbow injury, allowed three runs over nine innings in his two starts for Triple-A Columbus.
It actually might be a good thing in the long run. The Indians wanted to keep White’s inning total down, and giving him a few weeks off now might allow him to make a contribution at the end of the year. The 22-year-old White, a first-round pick in 2009, had a 3.60 ERA in three starts for Cleveland.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)