May 21, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
A day after exiting his start after three innings with a finger injury, Indians rookie Alex White was placed on the DL Saturday.
The Indians aren’t sure exactly what White did to the finger while throwing a slider in the third inning against the Reds. He did stay in to finish the inning.
“I have no clue what it is. I’ve never had this,” White said Saturday before going for an MRI. “It’s sore and swollen. We’ve been treating it—ice and stuff—but we can’t really do much until we know what the problem is.”
If the injury proves to be minor, it’s not much of a setback for the Indians. They were expected to replace White in the rotation with the rehabbing Mitch Talbot next week anyway. Talbot, who has been out since mid-April with an elbow injury, allowed three runs over nine innings in his two starts for Triple-A Columbus.
It actually might be a good thing in the long run. The Indians wanted to keep White’s inning total down, and giving him a few weeks off now might allow him to make a contribution at the end of the year. The 22-year-old White, a first-round pick in 2009, had a 3.60 ERA in three starts for Cleveland.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)