May 21, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
A day after exiting his start after three innings with a finger injury, Indians rookie Alex White was placed on the DL Saturday.
The Indians aren’t sure exactly what White did to the finger while throwing a slider in the third inning against the Reds. He did stay in to finish the inning.
“I have no clue what it is. I’ve never had this,” White said Saturday before going for an MRI. “It’s sore and swollen. We’ve been treating it—ice and stuff—but we can’t really do much until we know what the problem is.”
If the injury proves to be minor, it’s not much of a setback for the Indians. They were expected to replace White in the rotation with the rehabbing Mitch Talbot next week anyway. Talbot, who has been out since mid-April with an elbow injury, allowed three runs over nine innings in his two starts for Triple-A Columbus.
It actually might be a good thing in the long run. The Indians wanted to keep White’s inning total down, and giving him a few weeks off now might allow him to make a contribution at the end of the year. The 22-year-old White, a first-round pick in 2009, had a 3.60 ERA in three starts for Cleveland.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)