May 21, 2011, 4:57 PM EST
A day after exiting his start after three innings with a finger injury, Indians rookie Alex White was placed on the DL Saturday.
The Indians aren’t sure exactly what White did to the finger while throwing a slider in the third inning against the Reds. He did stay in to finish the inning.
“I have no clue what it is. I’ve never had this,” White said Saturday before going for an MRI. “It’s sore and swollen. We’ve been treating it—ice and stuff—but we can’t really do much until we know what the problem is.”
If the injury proves to be minor, it’s not much of a setback for the Indians. They were expected to replace White in the rotation with the rehabbing Mitch Talbot next week anyway. Talbot, who has been out since mid-April with an elbow injury, allowed three runs over nine innings in his two starts for Triple-A Columbus.
It actually might be a good thing in the long run. The Indians wanted to keep White’s inning total down, and giving him a few weeks off now might allow him to make a contribution at the end of the year. The 22-year-old White, a first-round pick in 2009, had a 3.60 ERA in three starts for Cleveland.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)