May 21, 2011, 4:57 PM EDT
A day after exiting his start after three innings with a finger injury, Indians rookie Alex White was placed on the DL Saturday.
The Indians aren’t sure exactly what White did to the finger while throwing a slider in the third inning against the Reds. He did stay in to finish the inning.
“I have no clue what it is. I’ve never had this,” White said Saturday before going for an MRI. “It’s sore and swollen. We’ve been treating it—ice and stuff—but we can’t really do much until we know what the problem is.”
If the injury proves to be minor, it’s not much of a setback for the Indians. They were expected to replace White in the rotation with the rehabbing Mitch Talbot next week anyway. Talbot, who has been out since mid-April with an elbow injury, allowed three runs over nine innings in his two starts for Triple-A Columbus.
It actually might be a good thing in the long run. The Indians wanted to keep White’s inning total down, and giving him a few weeks off now might allow him to make a contribution at the end of the year. The 22-year-old White, a first-round pick in 2009, had a 3.60 ERA in three starts for Cleveland.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 0
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 29
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)