May 21, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that Matt Garza has been scratched from Sunday’s scheduled start against the Red Sox due to right elbow tightness. It will be probably all hands on deck for the Cubs tomorrow, though James Russell or Jeff Samardzija are the most likely candidates to make the start.
According to Paul Sullivan of Chicago Tribune, Garza will have the elbow examined by team doctors when the team returns home Monday, but Cubs are hopeful he will only have to miss one start.
Garza, who was acquired from the Rays in January, has a 3.72 ERA and 68/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He has averaged 10.99 K/9 over 55 2/3 innings, which is tops among major league starters.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)