May 21, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that Matt Garza has been scratched from Sunday’s scheduled start against the Red Sox due to right elbow tightness. It will be probably all hands on deck for the Cubs tomorrow, though James Russell or Jeff Samardzija are the most likely candidates to make the start.
According to Paul Sullivan of Chicago Tribune, Garza will have the elbow examined by team doctors when the team returns home Monday, but Cubs are hopeful he will only have to miss one start.
Garza, who was acquired from the Rays in January, has a 3.72 ERA and 68/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He has averaged 10.99 K/9 over 55 2/3 innings, which is tops among major league starters.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)