May 21, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that Matt Garza has been scratched from Sunday’s scheduled start against the Red Sox due to right elbow tightness. It will be probably all hands on deck for the Cubs tomorrow, though James Russell or Jeff Samardzija are the most likely candidates to make the start.
According to Paul Sullivan of Chicago Tribune, Garza will have the elbow examined by team doctors when the team returns home Monday, but Cubs are hopeful he will only have to miss one start.
Garza, who was acquired from the Rays in January, has a 3.72 ERA and 68/20 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts this season. He has averaged 10.99 K/9 over 55 2/3 innings, which is tops among major league starters.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)