Mets back at .500 mark for first time since April 9

May 21, 2011, 8:55 AM EST

New York Mets v New York Yankees Getty Images

The Mets might not be contenders come July, but we can at least hold off on the fire sale talk for a few days. With a 2-1 win over the Yankees last night, the Mets are back at the .500 mark (22-22) for the first time since April 9.

R.A. Dickey, who entered the night with a 5.08 ERA, tossed six innings of one-run ball for his first win since his first start of the season. Justin Turner continued his hot hitting by going 3-for-4 with an RBI double while Daniel Murphy put the Mets ahead with a solo shot in the sixth inning. Francisco Rodriguez pitched for the third straight day and converted his 15th consecutive save.

The Mets were 5-13 as recently as April 20, but have won 17 out of their last 26 games. Yes, they have had some surprising contributions from the likes of the Jason Pridie and the aforementioned Justin Turner, but the big key has been the pitching staff. They have an impressive 2.89 ERA since April 20.

Sure, many still wonder when Sandy Alderson will take a hammer to the roster or how the club will find a way to avoid K-Rod’s vesting option, but the team’s recent surge should put a stop to all that. At least for a little while. It’s depressing, anyway. It’s time to enjoy the season for what it is.

1. purdueman - May 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Some Dahyears news of note today too:

Dodgers pitcher Sum Flung Poo (anxiety disorder) is expected to report to the Dodgers’ spring training complex in Glendale, Arizona early next week to begin a throwing program.
    Poo was placed on the disabled list last week with an anxiety disorder. The veteran southpaw is currently dealing with a case of the “yips,” which has caused him to lose total control of the strike zone as well as reportedly get an erection (thereby increasing his anxiety). He missed three months during the 2009 season with a similar issue. There’s no current timeline for his return

• cur68 - May 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Hey Purdue; In case you think the silence on the subject is because we all find your “humorous Asian ball player’s names” amusing, I’d just like to say, for myself, that I do not find it the least bit funny. It’s borderline racist, definitely targeting a visible minority, and insulting to me.

You may shriek all you like about your “rights of free speech” but I have the same rights and I’m asking you to stop it, please.

• purdueman - May 21, 2011 at 2:49 PM

cur… not looking for follow on comments. Sorry if you are in any way offended, but I just find all the “politically correct” stuff to be way too far over the top. I grew up with an enormous amount of prejudice directed towards me and my family, as we had “two strikes” on us in the neighborhood I grew up in both because of our ethnicity as well as our chosen religion.

Do as I do and take it with a grain of salt; after all, none of my posts are directed towards you personally, nor anyone else on any blog/board.

• purdueman - May 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM

cur…. a little background on my “tongue in cheek” post…

I live in Orange County, CA, very close to Irvine, CA. Last I read, Irvine is now close to 50% ethnic Chinese and quite frankly most of those who I have met there are lousy neighbors, as their teenagers (and especially), college aged kids have a very snobbish sense of entitlement and air of superiority over anyone who’s not Chinese.

I have seen this play out over in over again in little league, dance recitals, schools and many other places. Their kids are among the rudest I’ve ever encountered, with virtually no respect for anyone else around them. It’s very common to see them loudly incessantly yacking away non stop on their cell phones interrupting other people’s casual conversation everywhere from school cafeterias to ball parks.

This is how a particular group over time gets viewed as not being good enough human beings to conform to basic social mores and respect for others. Like it or not, perception IS reality!

• dprat - May 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

purdueman,

cur68 is so typically, politely Canadian, finding your comments “borderline racist.” Let me speak to you more bluntly… there’s no “borderline” to your racist remarks. And your own ethnicity or “chosen religion” cannot excuse those remarks.

By the way, your “fact” is wrong. Do you consider all people of Asian descent to be “ethnic Chinese?” Even then it’s wrong. 39% of Irvine’s population in the 2010 census was of Asian descent, up from 29% in 2000. But “Asian” includes not only Chinese, but Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Indian, and literally dozens of others ethnic groups. Very rarely do those other groups (with some exceptions in the Vietnamese community) ever consider themselves “ethnic Chinese.” Those of Chinese descent were 10% of the Irvine population in 2000, and there is no way to seriously look at the numbers and extrapolate that to more than 20% today. Unless they “all look Chinese” to you.

I point this out because I often find that when people create, or creatively interpret, “facts,” they often are not to be trusted with their observations. For example, you find people “lousy neighbors” just after noting you don’t even live in the same city as they do. Okay, then.

Finally, there is nothing borderline about the “not being good enough human beings” comment. It is, a flat-out, unadulterated racist remark.

• purdueman - May 22, 2011 at 6:18 AM

dp… take my comments however you want to; it’s a free country.

I can guarantee you this though… the Chinese students bristle and whine when Caucasions refer to their “ching, chang, chung chang” totally rude loud and frequent exclusive public cell phone conversations, even though most of these kids were raised in the USA and speak fluent English. It’s a total “I’m better than you” thing, and if you don’t like it, don’t move here because perception is reality.

• Reflex - May 22, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Somehow I’m not suprised your a racist on top of everything else, purdueman. Yes, what you are saying is outright racist, and yes it is deplorable. And no, speaking in your native language is not some sort of one-upsmanship when the language is not english. I mean really? Someone speaks another language in front of you and you decide that must mean they are saying they are better than you?

Reality is that they don’t give you even a second thought. Given your behaviour on this forum, which by the way is against the rules(no racism, sexism or homophobia), you are indeed worth less than those around you.

• purdueman - May 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

reflex… am I offended by immigrants who wish to live here but not adopt to our social mores (quick, scramble for a dictionary!), and culture? Yes. Does that make me any kind of a racist? No.

Do you hold prejudices towards other people? If you don’t, you are a bald faced liar because that’s just the way homo sapiens (quick, find the dictionary again), roll. Good or bad, it goes back thousands of years in documented history.

Think the Israelis love the Palestinians? (quick, go to google!).

You’re ridiculously thin skinned pal, and when you grow up and get older you’re only then understand, but until such a time, please do us all a favor by either shutting the ‘eff up or finding another board to whine and cry on.

• dprat - May 22, 2011 at 3:52 PM

purdueman,

Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Read the comments again, friend, because the only one in this thread who comes off as thin-skinned and whiny is you: “Speak English!” “Get off your cell phone!” “Shut the fuck up!”

The responses to your remarks, by contrast, have been rational, calm, almost dispassionate.

• purdueman - May 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM

dpr… no, didn’t get up on the wrong side of bed, but I do have one very nasty and very annoying cold (children as so sharing!).

Not angry about anything at all; unlike some on this forum (and others that I frequent), I just hate thin skinned people who’s foolish idealism thinks that life should be both fair and politically correct. It’s neither.

• Reflex - May 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Define ‘our social mores’. I was not aware the US had a fixed set of them. The US is a immigrant culture. My family is Sicilian, and my grandparents spoke it fluently with each other and others who lived in their community. Their community over time has merged into the general ‘american culture’ just as has every other historic group of US immigrants. Do they still speak German primarily in the midwest? No, but there is plenty of German influence on the culture there. Worrying about bilingual asian kids is ridiculous, being able to speak another language is a bonus as the economy is global.

In my field if I could speak Chinese it would help me tremendously as there is a ton of software development being done in collaboration with Chinese developers. Those Chinese kids you speak of have a massive advantage in my field, should they choose that career path(assuming they are actually Chinese, as pointed out above you don’t seem to know the difference).

There is no singular american culture or social mores. There are many, and theirs is every bit as valid as yours.

I’m sure I do. However when I realize that I am being biased about a group I make an active effort to address that prejudice. I would hate to be treated unfairly for my background, my mother and my grandparents have told me stories about how the Italians and Sicilians were treated back in the 20’s through 60’s, how they were stereotyped, and how my mother was never taught either language because her parents did not want her singled out by americans such as yourself. It is sad, and while I have family in Sicily, I’ll never know who they were or be able to communicate with them should I ever find them because of my grandparents encounters with the racists of their era. My family history is for all intents, severed.

Think the Israelis love the Palestinians? (quick, go to google!).
        Um, broad question. How is it relevant and why do you ask?

You must be in your 80’s or something to keep going on about others needing to grow up. I’m in my mid-30’s, plenty grown up. Not sure why you think this is an effective insult.

1) Of course life is not fair. People, however, have the choice to be.
        2) Political correctness is best defined as “someone being polite about someone or something that I do not feel deserves respect”. Its meaningless the way people like you throw it around. Basically here you are accusing me of being politically correct for my belief that people of other cultural backgrounds should be treated with respect and as though they are your peers, rather than your inferiors because they choose to live thier lives thier own way. The problem, of course, is that based on this logic they could say the same about you.

• purdueman - May 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

cur… someone asks you for the time and I bet you tell them how to make a watch!

Nobody is denying that this country is and was built on immigrants or that they didn’t make (and still do make), significant contributions to the US culture. Even Ebonics is now an accepted language.

My European non-English speaking immigrant ancestors though left behind mostly poverty, heartbreak and a lot of bad memories of the old country. They left because they couldn’t eek out an existence there, and their parents wanted them to have the hope of a better life.

My ancestors though didn’t stomp their feet and carry on about how as immigrants or even sons and daughters of immigrants and DEMAND that everything related to the government be translated into multiple languages; they would have been ashamed to have even THOUGHT about doing so.

What I take issue with is many of the immigrants over the past 30 years so coming into this country with a sense of entitlement and many with an unwillingness to adapt to our social mores. Social mores in this country begin with having respect for others and assimilating our native language, which remains ENGLISH!

Simple as that.

• cur68 - May 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Purdue: dude I asked you real nice like to stop with the “humorous Asian ball player’s names”. I said please. I gave my reasons and even left my foot off the gas (dprat is right: I am “so typically, politely Canadian”. Sorry).

If all you’d replied was the first 15 words in your reply to me, this would be over. Instead you had to go and give all those “reasons” you gave.

Good Lord. There is just no walking that lot back now, is there? I have nothing further to say you. You are beyond all reasoning.

• purdueman - May 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM

cur… setting me up to get ripped while promoting your own agenda is “asking me nicely?” The pot shouldn’t be calling the kettle black.

Bulls-Heats game about to start. Signing off now… have a nice evening!

• Reflex - May 23, 2011 at 3:56 AM

There is no such thing as a ‘native language’ here in the US. English is the native language of England. The US does not have any such thing and that was by design. At the time of the founding fathers there were more french, german and possibly dutch speakers than english, and german remained more widely spoken than english for much of the 19th century. During the 20th century english rose to prominence, however it is in decline against spanish currently.

The reason government translates documents to the most spoken languages is because government exists to serve its citizens. The country your ancestors came from felt the opposite, that the citizens existed to serve the government and thus the citizens were to conform to that government. What made the USA such a unique concept in its time was its reversal of that basic understanding of the role of government.

I’m sorry the lesson appears to have been lost on you. Ignorance, however, does not excuse blatant racism.

• purdueman - May 23, 2011 at 4:23 AM

reflex… “There is no such thing as a ‘native language’ here in the US. English is the native language of England. “, blah, blah, blah… You’re a real tool, pal!

You come off as one of those “poor downtrodden minorities”, and clearly have serious self-esteem issues and think that the world owes you a living, but likely on your wages can’t afford to seek the professional help that you so clearly need.

How about posting your real name so that the day you go postal and take out a bunch of kids and/or old ladies with your Saturday Night Special semi-automatic rifle we’ll know for sure that it’s the real you… the angry young man?

• Reflex - May 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, cause software engineers in Seattle fit that profile. God you are a moron.

2. Old Gator - May 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM

It always does me heart good to see Dickey do well. Literate ballplayers are few and far between and must be placed in the sun and watered and loved if they are to fully Bloom.

Leopold, I mean.

3. pisano - May 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Did anyone notice how many called third strikes Posada had last night? The Yankees have to move him, there really isn’t any place in the order where he can help. It’s time to make a cut.

• purdueman - May 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM

pisano… actually the time to make a cut was when a clearly aging and declining Posada’s last contract was up. The Yankees are about the only organization that I can think off hand that gives away tens of millions of dollars to players for what they did in the past, not what they are worth today.

Jeter is another example. Hank Steinbrenner was 100% right in his hesitancy to resign Jeter for either big bucks or a contract longer than one year (with perhaps an additional option year). As I’ve posted before, only one club in the last 50 years went on to win a world series with a starting SS 35 or older.

In just a couple of short years from now, the Yankees will have close to $50M guaranteed to a 38 year old 3b’man with an apparent degenerating hip condition and a SS who will be 39. Given the fact that those are two of the most important defensive positions in baseball, it was just foolish IMO for the Yankees to have given both big long term contract extensions.

Yes, I realize that there initially would have been enormous fan backlash at the mere thought of Jeter not attaining his 3000th career hit in another uniform, but history has shown that that would have been the smart thing to do unless Jeter would have been willing to accept a MUCH smaller base salary and guaranteed money, with a lot of attainable performance incentives (as Jim Thome did last season with the Twins).

While baseball remains the ultimate “romantic game”, it’s still a business. Yes, the Yankees can afford it, but that doesn’t make it smart baseball, as the Yankees by doing so have painted themselves now into a corner (whereas the Red Sox haven’t).

• uyf1950 - May 21, 2011 at 3:13 PM

My friend, I agree. But the Yankees have said he has until the All Star game to turn his season around. Also, until Chavez comes back the only real options the Yankees have is for a rotating DH with A-Rod, Tex and Jeter spelling him. Also, there is the problem of Swisher. He’s not doing very well and hasn’t all season. His situation needs to be addressed as well at some point relatively soon. The Yankees had a perfect opportunity last night in the 6th inning with Martin on 2nd with 1 out and both Posada and Swisher struck out. A single would have tied the game and who knows what would have happened after that.
      I have a thought that I like to have your opinion on. I know it would never happen but as a fan it’s nice to think about. We know the Yankees are stuck with Jeter for at least 2 years and possibly 3. A while back whether intentional or not Cashman floated the idea of moving Jeter to the outfield. How’s this for a plan. Reyes (Mets SS) is a FA after this year. Sign Reyes, move Jeter to right field and don’t pick up Swisher’s 2012 option? I realize this is a fantasy on my part at least for the 2012 season but… What really concerns me out Reyes becoming a FA is that Red Sox might be interested even though they have Lowrie. Reyes is a proven commodity, Lowrie isn’t and the Sox have a lot of money coming off the books at the end of the season (maybe not as much as originally thought but still a lot).

• pisano - May 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I like the Reyes part, but I think Jeter’s going to be the next problem just as Posada is now. It’s like purdueman said and I think you and I agree they kept these guys too long and now what do they do with them? I hate to think about Jeter’s production next year no matter where you put him. Swisher is another problem, all of a sudden he’s striking out like it’s going out of style. One writer thought a trade for Beltran with Swisher would be good for both teams, what’s your take on that possibility? He stated the Mets could get out of Beltran’s contract and he thought the Yanks would be better off with Beltran rather than Swisher. There has to be some changes we all thought the pitching was going to be the big problem, but it’s more than respectable. This team the Yankees have now strikes out way to much.

• uyf1950 - May 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

pisano, my friend. I don’t see the Yankees doing anything with Beltran. He’s to expensive. I know he’s a FA at the end of the year but he’s currently making $20MM and Boras is his agent. Plus he’s had injury issues in both 2009 and 2010. I don’t see the Yankees trading Swisher and his approximately $10MM 2012 option to take on Beltran and his salary demands and injury history. Pitching will still be an issue late this year and definitely in 2012. The Yankees aren’t going to go into crunch time August and Sept. with this starting rotation and bullpen. They need a left handed relief guy to supplement Logan. And if they have any hopes of making the post season and making some noise by going deep it won’t happen with Nova, and Garcia. Nova still has trouble making it past the 5th inning and Garcia throws to much junk. When the Yankees start to play the best of the best they will eat him alive. As we all know AJ isn’t the most reliable starter in the world. Right now the only 2 I think the Yankees can count on is CC and I hope Colon but who knows he hasn’t pitched a complete season in forever, will he hold up. Will Hughes come back to where he can actually throw a fast ball that is fast. No one knows yet. These are all issues that the Yankees will have to think about between no and the trade deadline. That’s just my opinion.

4. pisano - May 22, 2011 at 1:20 AM

uyf1950… all things considered I think you’re right, it usually comes down to pitching. While I think Nove will be a solid #3 or #4 starter I do agree with you that he’s still erratic and probably couldn’t be counted on in crunch time. How long Colon can be counted on is anyone’s guess, but between Colon and Garcia the Yanks have bought time for something to break loose. I’m sure Cashman is manning the phones and hoping for a deal to be made, but time will tell if he can come up with something worth while.

• uyf1950 - May 22, 2011 at 6:19 AM

My friend, I agree with you about Colon and Garcia. They have bought the Yankees more time then anyone would have imagined. I still like Colon, he has a fast ball and has been striking out batters. I just hope it last, but I’m not sure it will. I’d still bet the farm that Cashman will make a trade for a solid pitcher by the trade deadline. and I think it will be with a team from either the AL or NL Central Division. May be Marcum or Liriano. Also, what might be interesting to speculate about is perhaph a Dodgers pitcher. Their financial pitcher appears pretty screwed up. I know most of their pitchers are relatively inexpensive (emphasis on relatively) but you never know what might happen in a divorce or bankruptcy. Just my opinion.

5. purdueman - May 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM

reflex… if I’m a “moron”, that would make you an ass-wipe. Please take your “dirty diaper rants” to another forum.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4657)
  2. M. Kemp (3704)
  3. M. Cabrera (2910)
  4. J. Kang (2700)
  5. M. Morse (2601)
  1. J. Upton (2579)
  2. A. Rios (2250)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2237)
  4. C. Headley (2189)