UPDATE: Pedro Alvarez placed on disabled list with quad injury

May 21, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT

Colorado Rockies v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

UPDATE: Pedro Alvarez was indeed placed on the 15-day disabled list, reports Colin Dunlap of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

1:15 PM: According to Colin Dunlap of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates have dispatched minor league infielder Pedro Ciriaco to Pittsburgh for tonight’s game against the Tigers. The Pirates have yet to announce an official roster move, but Dunlap speculates that Ciriaco could take the place of Pedro Alvarez on the active roster.

Alvarez missed last night’s game with tightness in his right quadriceps, the very same injury that sidelined him for four games earlier this month.

While Alvarez showed plenty of promise last season by batting .256/.326/.451 with 16 homers and 64 RBI over his first 386 major league plate appearances, he’s been a major disappointment so far in 2011. The 24-year-old is currently batting just .202 with two homers, 10 RBI and 42 strikeouts over his first 125 at-bats while his seven errors are tied with Mark Reynolds for the most among major league third basemen.

1. purdueman - May 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Alvarez not only has been a huge disappointment thusfar, but now he’s not getting with the program too! Somebody who speaks fluent Spanish needs to tell the boy that you don’t make a trip in 2011 for a strained QUAD muscle (even if you have one!). H obviously doesn’t realize that he’s supposed to pull his OBLIQUE muscle (or at least report it as such!).

2. tk1966 - May 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Someone who speaks fluent Spanish? Why?
    So they could talk to this young man who attended the Mott Hall School for gifted and talented students in Harlem, where he was an A student. He then attended Horace Mann School in the Bronx before he attended Vanderbilt University. Is this the young man you think needs a translator? Just because he has a Spanish sounding last name?

• Reflex - May 22, 2011 at 7:48 AM

So long as Alvarez dosen’t speak spanish in front of purdueman everything is fine. I mean, he would likely be trying to prove he’s better than him by speaking another language in front of him and all…

• purdueman - May 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM

reflex… there’s no point in Alvarez speaking ANY language in front of you, because from your post above it’s clear for all to see that you’re proud of being an idiot!

• Reflex - May 22, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Hey, you are the one who seems to think asians speaking asian languages are somehow trying to prove they are ‘better than you’. Your words, not mine.

• purdueman - May 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM

reflex… give it up already!

We now all know that you live in a Utopian world devoid of any and all prejudices and profiling, but next time you come to LA I’ll give you a ride if you put on your Sunday best, then withdraw $300 from an ATM and I’ll drop you off right in the middle of LA suburban Compton around 11 PM on a Saturday night. After all, surely you’d have no reason to fear, right?

I don’t take back at all what I wrote, but you sure have a snaky way of twisting what I posted to try (operative word: TRY), to fit your Utopian point of view. First of all, you have no idea how many languages I speak and/or am fluent in; numbnuts speaking more than one language has absolutely NOTHING to do with intelligence.

I was brought up in a tri-lingual home and as I kid I absorbed all three languages that were regularly spoke in and around the household like a sponge. That doesn’t mean though that I go around flaunting it just so as to aggravate the general public around me who don’t!

LOUDLY incessantly gossipping away in a language other than English in THIS country is simply boorish and rude, and when the person or persons doing so are equally fluent in English, it’s just downright rude, boorish and condescending behavior.

As for your unbridled idealism, just what color is the sky in your little perfect world?

• Reflex - May 23, 2011 at 3:50 AM

You piece of human refuse. I was fucking born in LA, Simi Valley to be exact. Just shut up, you are garbage. I have far less to fear from anyone in Compton than I do from assholes like you.

This country does not have a national language, not English or any other. Nobody is obligated to speak the language you personally prefer. If you can’t handle the fact that English is not the national language and that sometimes you might hear other languages, then move to England where it is.

People like you make me sick.

• purdueman - May 23, 2011 at 4:16 AM

reflex… I could care less if you were born in a barn in Bangladesh…. your mouth wash still ain’t cuttin’ it.

You are truly an idiot too to make such an asinine statement as “this country doesn’t have a national language”. Gee, dumbass, is that why all of the major networks put on so many shows in other languages? (uh, the answer to that is no… duh-uh!).

You don’t make me sick though; I feel sorry for jerkoffs like you. Thank God you live in the cesspool otherwise known as the Valley; please… stay there!

• Reflex - May 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Actually I live in Seattle. And again, show me where there is a law that institutes a national language. Seriously. And there happen to be a lot of national channels that happen to be broadcast in Spanish. Didn’t know that either, eh?

Orioles turn AL East on its head