May 22, 2011, 3:09 PM EST
Greg Anderson, the former personal trainer for Barry Bonds and a convicted felon, is serving as an assistant coach for the Capitol Electric team in the Burlingame Youth Baseball Association, according to an article in Sunday’s New York Times.
Anderson is accused of supplying steroids and injecting them into Bonds and other athletes and he plead guilty six years ago to conspiracy to distribute steroids and money laundering, but that hasn’t prevented him from getting the chance to work with 11- and 12-year-old boys hopeful of becoming big leaguers themselves someday.
The parents of the boys appear split on whether Anderson should be allowed to continue. He was allowed to resume his role even after missing four weeks while he was in prison in March and April for again refusing to testify against Bonds during his trial.
“Oh, he gets the players in shape and is the most knowledgeable coach my son ever had,” Tim Gannon, a real estate broker, told the Times. “Some parents have a problem with him being a coach, but it’s not like he was caught stealing or did some bad things with children. But, yes, it’s still bad, and I explained that to my son.”
Anderson, who was caught up to by writer Juliet Macur as he was putting baseball equipment into his car (license plate W8 GURU) after a game, refused to be interviewed for the story.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (144)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)