Greg Anderson: steroid distributor and Youth Baseball coach

May 22, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT

Greg Anderson AP

Greg Anderson, the former personal trainer for Barry Bonds and a convicted felon, is serving as an assistant coach for the Capitol Electric team in the Burlingame Youth Baseball Association, according to an article in Sunday’s New York Times.

Anderson is accused of supplying steroids and injecting them into Bonds and other athletes and he plead guilty six years ago to conspiracy to distribute steroids and money laundering, but that hasn’t prevented him from getting the chance to work with 11- and 12-year-old boys hopeful of becoming big leaguers themselves someday.

The parents of the boys appear split on whether Anderson should be allowed to continue.  He was allowed to resume his role even after missing four weeks while he was in prison in March and April for again refusing to testify against Bonds during his trial.

“Oh, he gets the players in shape and is the most knowledgeable coach my son ever had,” Tim Gannon, a real estate broker, told the Times. “Some parents have a problem with him being a coach, but it’s not like he was caught stealing or did some bad things with children. But, yes, it’s still bad, and I explained that to my son.”

Anderson, who was caught up to by writer Juliet Macur as he was putting baseball equipment into his car (license plate W8 GURU) after a game, refused to be interviewed for the story.

1. ernestbynershands - May 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM

There probably isn’t anything legally that can be done. This guy is a cheating, lying, scumbag. The father quoted in the story didn’t seem concerned. I’m not surprised to hear that from a Bay Area real estate guy. Anderson and the father are probably peas in a pod.
    As a professional who holds the same credentials as Anderson, I find it appalling that he be allowed to coach or train athletes at all. Let alone youth sports!
    Here is anderson’s message to kids: ‘Hey kids! Cheat, lie, do anything you have in order to succeed. Dont worry about consequences, you will never have to account for your mistakes. Drugs aren’t bad, they help make you rich.’
    Only in the Bay Area…

2. jstrizzle - May 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Ugh this kinda sickens me. If I was a parent of one of those kids my first question for the coach would be why won’t you testify? And the father saying “he gets the kids in shape” what does he think will happen after someone in really good shape wants to get into phenomenal shape. Who are they gonna ask for a little help. Maybe coach can hook us up.

(https://minnesporta.wordpress.com)

• genericcommenter - May 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM

The only moral reason I could see to feel compelled to testify is to help a victim. There was no victim in this case, nor a crime (in the rational sense) that I could see. It’s not like someone was murdered and he helped the killer get free. He refused to testify about his friend having a needle stuck in his buttocks or sticking a friend in his buttocks. Why would anyone testify about that? Further, as much as he would be testifying against himself he has a moral obligation and legal right not to.

• jstrizzle - May 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Yeah I think you have swayed me a little. That is a good point. I was thinking of him more as just his trainer and not his friend. I guess if it was my close friend I wouldn’t testify either. But you still have to question him working too closely with kids. I guess at this age parents should be very involved and it shouldn’t be his fault directly with what happens.

3. genericcommenter - May 22, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Most of society doesn’t seem to think drugs are that bad. Physicians liberally give dope to millions of people without much thought. It’s hypocritical to place all this blame on steroids users/distributors when using mind and body altering substances is ingrained in the culture- though I appreciate the remark about the Bay Area real estate guy. Obviously not everyone participates in that culture. I don’t, but I find the steroid outrage ( in sports) to be misplaced at best, and avoiding real problems in society. Kids learn to cheat and lie from politicians, police, and all kinds of other authorities they are supposed to “look up to.” I guess I’m a little more concerned about the “role models” who are out there killing people and normalizing violence and sadism and the community “professionals” who are snorting or smoking various toxic chemicals until their eyes roll back in their heads and then going out and preaching morals than the guys juicing up to hit a ball.

4. crpls - May 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Oh noes! *long paragraph will of pathetic, manufactured outrage*

• crpls - May 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

*full.

5. stevem7 - May 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Whats wrong with the sanctioning body of this kids league? Have they no standards? Allowing a convicted felon to have anything to do with children is the most frightening thing I can imagine. This man supplied PED’s and thought it was perfectly acceptable. Nothing to stop him from giving it to the kids as well.

• crpls - May 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM

He’s convicted of providing steroids to adults. As far as I know he has no history of violence, child abuse, etc.

Nothing to stop him? Because it will be so easy for him to get steroids to kids in a little league? I mean, c’mon. Unless you have any proof he’s ever given someone steroids without their explicit consent as adults, get over your righteous nonsense.

6. addictedzone - May 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM

–“Anderson is accused of supplying steroids and injecting them into Bonds and other athletes”–

I know this isn’t a legal site but it’s still odd for this site to write something that isn’t true. “Was accused and did time for supplying steroids” would be a somewhat accurate statement as Anderson pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids and one count of money laundering in 2005 and served three months in jail.

Despite the obvious hint of author bias, Anderson isn’t accused of injecting Bonds and he does not currently have any outstanding charges against him.

7. king3319 - May 22, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Everyone who posted has put up legimate opinions I can’t argue any of them. I myself am torn. I don’t like he’s coaching kids…but as already said he hasn’t abused any children either. Playing D-1 college ball I can’t honestly say that if I had ever made it to the minors and was watching all my buddies get called up knowing their using help, I can’t say with 100% confidence I wouldn’t have done the same.
    I wasn’t in that position thankfully. But when everyone was turning a blind eye to the use of ped’s and the temptation to get that one big contract to support my family to insure their futures, I’m glad I didn’t have to make that choice. I know it’s wrong we all do, but like I said none of us have had to make that choice.

• Jack Marshall - May 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Oh, for the luvva…he’s a sports cheater, who has facilitated and encouraged cheating. Kids will have plenty of time to turn bitter and cynical, like the commenters here, but it’s irresponsible to have a steroid-pusher in a position of authority and influence where children are playing sports. There really aren’t equally qualified NON-drug pushing, NON-court-defying, NON- ex-con coaches to hire? I find that hard to believe.

8. cur68 - May 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I’m having trouble mustering outrage here. He was convicted of a crime(s) served out the sentence(s) and is now free to get a job. Nothing in his past, criminal history or otherwise, suggests that he should be kept away from children.

As for coaching, well people who commit manslaughter with their cars have been allowed to drive again. He didn’t kill anyone or inject anyone against their will and those people he did inject were all adults and knew full well what was going on. Leave him the hell alone.

So long as he stays away from PEDS & MLB I don’t know as we ever need here about this guy again.

9. sorebuttcheeks - May 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I’m sure he is a great roll model, not.

10. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Leave him alone, first of all.

Second
    And it’s a very lame move to post his license plate number. Only people who would wish to do the man harm would care what his plate number is, so why post it?

11. kyleortonsarm - May 23, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Still a better option than Big Ben.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey