May 22, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Greg Anderson, the former personal trainer for Barry Bonds and a convicted felon, is serving as an assistant coach for the Capitol Electric team in the Burlingame Youth Baseball Association, according to an article in Sunday’s New York Times.
Anderson is accused of supplying steroids and injecting them into Bonds and other athletes and he plead guilty six years ago to conspiracy to distribute steroids and money laundering, but that hasn’t prevented him from getting the chance to work with 11- and 12-year-old boys hopeful of becoming big leaguers themselves someday.
The parents of the boys appear split on whether Anderson should be allowed to continue. He was allowed to resume his role even after missing four weeks while he was in prison in March and April for again refusing to testify against Bonds during his trial.
“Oh, he gets the players in shape and is the most knowledgeable coach my son ever had,” Tim Gannon, a real estate broker, told the Times. “Some parents have a problem with him being a coach, but it’s not like he was caught stealing or did some bad things with children. But, yes, it’s still bad, and I explained that to my son.”
Anderson, who was caught up to by writer Juliet Macur as he was putting baseball equipment into his car (license plate W8 GURU) after a game, refused to be interviewed for the story.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)