L.A. Times: Suspect arrested in Bryan Stow beating case

May 22, 2011, 12:13 PM EDT

LAPD Give Update On Giants Fan Beating Investigation Getty Images

Joel Rubin of the Los Angeles Times brings some uplifting news in the still-unsolved Opening Day beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow:

At about 7 a.m., the Los Angeles Police Department SWAT team descended on an East Hollywood apartment building with a warrant in hand. According to apartment building manager Maritza Camacho, police, using loudspeakers with guns drawn, called out to the occupants of Apartment 25. Inside was one of the men police suspect in the March 31 beating that left Stow with brain damage.

The LAPD isn’t offering many more details at the moment and is keeping the name of the man in custody under wraps. A reward worth more than $200,000 was being promoted around the region for any information about the two men suspected of viciously jumping Stow in late March.

Stow remains in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital. He was able to open his eyes last week but doctors say he is still a long way from fully recovering from the attack at Dodger Stadium.

1. frankvzappa - May 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM

hopefully they have the right guy…im not saying law enforcement has a history of falsely arresting people when public outcry was such that somebody had to be arrested (ok, yes i am), but i just dont see how they find two random people in LA when there were hardly any witnesses…hopefully the sob confesses and turns in his buddy so there is no doubt

• nixonotis - May 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Bin Laden’s not dead, Obama isn’t a citizen, and we never actually landed on the moon.

P.S. 9/11 was an inside job

• frankvzappa - May 22, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Actually bin Laden has been dead a long time, and we did land on the moon. But you are right about the other stuff.

• nixonotis - May 22, 2011 at 6:02 PM

All these thumbs down are making me feel a bit misunderstood.

• 4d3fect - May 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I don’t see how there could have been “hardly any witnesses” –the parking lot had to have been full of folks just getting to their cars and trying in vain to exit the area in less than an hour and a half. Unfortunately, it’s taken a bribe (sorry, reward) of enough money to produce any action on this front. Shameful.

• hardjudge - May 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Its amazing what your friends and relatives will do for $200,000. Usually guys who do things like this can’t keep their mouths shut, so somebody they tell collects the reward.

• Roger Moore - May 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM

There were enough witnesses around that the police were able to get good descriptions of the suspects, including distinctive tattoos. The problem has been finding two guys in a metro area of 18 million. If the one they found matches the description closely, they’re very likely to have finally found their man.

2. dogsweat1 - May 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Alexandro Mendoza Pedro Cortez of East Hollywood–soon to be deported….

Chavez Latrine will be safer…

• db105 - May 22, 2011 at 3:21 PM

And soon to return after deportation thanks to our lax borders.

3. arrabin56 - May 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Eagerly anticipating John Steigerwald’s column questioning why this man was arrested and suggesting he get season tickets to protect the stadium from thugs who dare to wear opposing jerseys.

4. l84thesky - May 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I think the Dodgers should add a dollar onto every ticket they sell until this man’s medical bills are covered in full. I will NEVER attend one of their games after this violence.

• henryd3rd - May 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Now let me ask you just how many games did you attend prior to that incident? So many make these types of comments; but were never seen at the stadium in the past. Chavez Ravine is probably more safe now then any other stadium in baseball. Now if you choose not to attend because of the ugly divorce between the owners that is another story.

• movinonyoleft - May 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM

no henry, now it just may come close to being as safe as other ball parks.

5. taipan70 - May 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM

$200,000 reward…You know the ghetto birds will be singing once it reached that figure… would love to see the reaction of those dbags once the reward was past 100K. You had to feel they were crapping bricks.

6. tominma - May 22, 2011 at 2:47 PM

If this IS one of the guys, and they convict him, 20 yrs to life would be a good sentence! Wonder exactly what the charges will be.

• caffeineator - May 22, 2011 at 3:23 PM

their attorney will claim self-defense then use the race card – whatever race they claim to be.

• db105 - May 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM

In our society we consider bad behavior and poor character as mistakes. Think about the level of intelligence that sits on a jury in our courts.

7. musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Brian Stow’s case affirms my belief that sports are just a socially condoned, thinly veneered platform for aggressive behavior.

• paperlions - May 22, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Yeah, because Stow’s beating was part of that days baseball game.

• musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM

It didn’t happen at a symphony.

• paperlions - May 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM

People are attacked after attending all sort of events, those that make the national news, more often than not, are associated with major sports leagues. In other words, just because you don’t read about doesn’t mean it didnt’ happen…and some aspects of society are “over reported” nationally (meaning that is is more likely to be reported on a national level when it is related to certain things….in particular, sports).

• paperlions - May 22, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Also….about 50 million people attend MLB games each year, and this one incident means that such beatings are characteristic of sporting events?

That is like saying that the woman that cut me off while talking on her cell phone today is a logical basis for my conclusions that all women talk on cell phones too much, and that women are horrible drivers. A single event is never a legitimate basis for a generalization.

• musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM

One event at an MBL game? You can hardly read the news without a sports figure getting into it with his team mates or others. Even on the local level, reading about the local coach who screamed at children for loosing a point at a game. It’s is commonplace. Sports is loaded with it from the players to the fans.

• nixonotis - May 22, 2011 at 6:01 PM

What can’t be construed as such? Video games? Movies? How about a violent novel? There was a shooting at Columbine, does that mean school is a “socially condoned, thinly veneered platform for aggressive behavior?”

• musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM

What can’t be construed as such? you ask. By the nature of your question is would seem that you are a connoseur of many things that have been implicated in promoting a-social behavior. I can’t know this for sure, but I would ask if you’ve played violent video games (Gand Theft Auto type), read violent novels, and have watched violent movies? Certainly we are surrounded by media that makes profit of off promoting spectacle (including heaping doses of violence, nightly, on network television.) However, not to get off track, the isolated inncident at Columbine, hardly sets up a general pattern, Violence amoungst sports fans (and many sports figures) is so commonplace as to easily set up a pattern (take note of the Canadian “winners” who trashed their town, soccer thugs, etc.) It is easy to name things that cannot be construed as promoting agressive behavior (art shows, cooking contests, classical, orperetic, and jazz concerts, toastmaster’s meeting, generally PBS programs, etc.

• cur68 - May 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Actually musicdorian, you’re the one with the “connoisseur” (note the spelling there sport) complex. You made a statement in which you said it was your belief that sport is thinly veiled violence based on on Mr. Stow’s attack. Watch a lot of sports and see lots of fans ganged up on and left in a coma do you?

I spend a lot of time around hospitals. There was this report:

Using your logic, hospitals “are a socially condoned, thinly veneered platform for aggressive behavior”.

Nothing quite like a sweeping generalization. Saves having to think about things, I guess.

• George - May 22, 2011 at 8:02 PM

If you find sports to be so distasteful, what the hell are you doing reading and commenting on a sports blog? While it may offend your delicate sensibilities, a certain amount of aggression is natural and healthy. To be clear, I am NOT saying that what happened to Bryan Stow falls under the heading of “natural and healthy” aggression; that was clearly horrifying and reprehensible, but also obviously not representative of what usually happens at a baseball game. Outside of maybe golf and shuffleboard, I can’t think of many sports less inherently violent than baseball.

• paperlions - May 22, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Couldn’t agree more. There are doors to your left, right, behind, and in front of you, feel free to use the nearest one. No one is making you and your preconceptions hang around.

• musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM

What am I doing on this blog, helping to create a dialog about what you consider natural and healthy. Next time you are on your overstuffed couch, feeding your face and yelling at your big screen TV…. or…. you’re in your overstuffed in your giant insulated SUV with your air conditioning or heating, remember that some of us, who you consider delicate might not be indulging ourselves in those kinds of comforts. We might be the guy next to you pedaling a bike, hiking, or riding a motorcycle in the rain. Don’t assume too much. Don’t mistake acting like a bully as fortitude.

• musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Paperlion, you just don’t seem to like a fair debate. Perhaps trying to align yourself with other people, protects you from an honest one on one debate. I can see where a team mentality would appeal to you. Go down to your local bar where you can be effective in hanging out with other people who are afraid of a fair debate. The doors to educational instutuitons are wide open, I’d suggest you head toward those doors.

8. king3319 - May 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Please let this be one of the right guys!!! I’m so ashamed to wear my dodgers hat after that senseless BS!!! I don’t think I’ll ever bring it out of the box in my closet. I’ll still watch highlights read box scores but I can’t justify spending money to go to another dodger game. My continuous prayers go out to the stow family, and hopefully some measure of justice and closure will be brought to the family.

9. musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM

10. musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Tell me classical music concert where people were injured, or a downtown was trashed. Tell me an art show where someone who disagreed with someone over the validity of an art peice was beat physically. Tell me the Chilli cook off, where people who disagreed over the winner, go jumped in the parking lot. Tell me the jazz concert where someone who didn’t like the music was knocked into a coma? Tell me the Toastmaster’s meeting where debate opponents beat each other. By the way, try going after my spelling again, that may be you only point in this debate.

• nixonotis - May 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I used to go to baseball games with my Dad. He taught me how to hold a bat and how to throw a ball. Some of the best friends I made were on baseball teams throughout childhood and my parents and coaches were nothing but supportive. I remember jumping into my Dad’s arms when the Yankees were able to win the World Series in 1996 and barely able to hold back tears when the Diamondbacks beat Rivera in 2001. A lot of my favorite memories are tied up with sports and I can only hope to pass that love on to my children in the same manner that my father did to me. Oh, the only thing was that my Dad beat me every time the Yankees lost. He told me sports were nothing without violence.

• musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM

It makes you wonder if the jeering fans, who Bryan Stow and his friend encountered, while trying to enjoy a game, had father’s who warmly shared with them the joy of throwing objects at those who didn’t agree with them. If they did, I’m sure that there were thouching moments where there fathers would shown them just how to put the right spin on the beer containers or peanuts that they were throwing at fellow fans. Oh yes, fond memories.

• frankvzappa - May 22, 2011 at 8:25 PM

actually, the first time Stravinsky’s “The Rite of Spring” was played, the entire audience started rioting, and didnt stop until the piece had finished…

11. musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I do have to say that you have provoked though on the “win at any cost” attitude that seems to be so prevelent in many things. Corporate CEO’ s increasing their salaries while telling workers to tighten their belts (witness American Airlines CEO.) Pharmaceutical companies fighting the ban on pseudoephedrine (key ingredient in meth) in order to preserve profits, knowing that children are being sent in foster care because of addicted parents. Consumer’s who went out on a limb with loans that they knew that they couldn’t afford, planning on cashing out with equity before being overwhelmed. It seems that the attitude that winning is the only thing that counts, regarless of what it takes to do it. This attitude has invaded the “good sportsmanship” of many areas of society, and taught the population that it is OK to have no holds barred in persuit of self interest. If you believe that I am incorrect about the inherent negative aggressiveness in sports, then I would challege all sports participants and their fans to use their games to display to the world what they think good sportsmanship is, and set an example.

12. musicdorian - May 22, 2011 at 7:47 PM

When you do this, I will be the one to celebrate with a beer.

13. danberman4 - May 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Hopefully, justice can be served now. And I also hope fans can learn from this. It’s just a game. Everyone should have a good time, no matter what jersey or cap they wear.

14. musicdorian - May 23, 2011 at 1:08 AM

To all. Thank you for the lively discussion. Trading ideas and concepts is one way to see things from a different perspectives. In a free society, this is one of the benefits of communicationing with others. I hope that in some way we all gained something from the discussion (I do, now, know how to spell the word “connoisseur.”) May you all be properous, and find truth in your path. Hasta.

15. jonirocit - May 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM

You mad bro? Looks and sounds like we might get our first ever symphony beat down . Easy big guy …. Remember altamont …. Ohh wait I shouldn’t say that because you are talking about classical music and that’s generalizing on my part… Thugs are thugs and punks are punks . I’m pretty sure if guys like this grew up going to a school that promoted music over sports they would be sitting next to you at the symphony most likely asleep …. Ya think it might be more of a societal thing and not a sports thing? What have you done to promote your craft in our schools ? Last I checked sports at that level are keeping kids off the streets .

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3090)