May 22, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
Center fielder Marlon Byrd was released from the hospital Sunday after an overnight stay, but the Cubs confirmed that he had suffered multiple fractures as a result of Saturday’s beaning and placed him on the disabled list.
Needing some relief help after scratching Matt Garza from his scheduled start tonight, the Cubs called up right-hander Justin Berg to replace Byrd.
Byrd was struck near his left eye by an Alfredo Aceves fastball in the second inning of Saurday’s game against the Red Sox. The Cubs have no timetable for his return.
Aceves said he tried to get in touch with Byrd to apologize over the incident, but he’s so far been unsuccessful.
Reed Johnson will start in Byrd’s place tonight and figures to have a large role while Byrd is out. Tyler Colvin, who started 14 games in center field for the Cubs last year, was demoted to Triple-A last week after hitting .113 in 62 at-bats. Triple-A Iowa’s primary center fielder, Fernando Perez, is batting just .207/.319/.310 in 116 at-bats.
Top prospect Brett Jackson, who would have been a candidate to step in, has missed the last 11 days with a finger injury. He was hitting .295/.420/.518 with four homers and 13 steals for Double-A Tennessee before going down.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 79
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)