May 22, 2011, 7:48 PM EST
Center fielder Marlon Byrd was released from the hospital Sunday after an overnight stay, but the Cubs confirmed that he had suffered multiple fractures as a result of Saturday’s beaning and placed him on the disabled list.
Needing some relief help after scratching Matt Garza from his scheduled start tonight, the Cubs called up right-hander Justin Berg to replace Byrd.
Byrd was struck near his left eye by an Alfredo Aceves fastball in the second inning of Saurday’s game against the Red Sox. The Cubs have no timetable for his return.
Aceves said he tried to get in touch with Byrd to apologize over the incident, but he’s so far been unsuccessful.
Reed Johnson will start in Byrd’s place tonight and figures to have a large role while Byrd is out. Tyler Colvin, who started 14 games in center field for the Cubs last year, was demoted to Triple-A last week after hitting .113 in 62 at-bats. Triple-A Iowa’s primary center fielder, Fernando Perez, is batting just .207/.319/.310 in 116 at-bats.
Top prospect Brett Jackson, who would have been a candidate to step in, has missed the last 11 days with a finger injury. He was hitting .295/.420/.518 with four homers and 13 steals for Double-A Tennessee before going down.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 8
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 98
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)