May 22, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT
He’s back. Well, almost.
According to Dave Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News, second baseman Chase Utley has packed up his things at Single-A Clearwater and is headed back to Philly in anticipation of a Monday activation from the disabled list.
Utley has not played in a major league game this season due to right patellar tendinitis. He spent close to two weeks on a minor league rehab assignment with the Clearwater Threshers, posting a respectable .281/.361/.438 batting line, one home run and four RBI across 36 plate appearances.
Either way, the Phillies are about to get a big boost offensively and defensively. Utley boasts a stellar .894 career OPS and has finished with more than 90 RBI in five of his eight major league seasons.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)