May 22, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT
He’s back. Well, almost.
According to Dave Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News, second baseman Chase Utley has packed up his things at Single-A Clearwater and is headed back to Philly in anticipation of a Monday activation from the disabled list.
Utley has not played in a major league game this season due to right patellar tendinitis. He spent close to two weeks on a minor league rehab assignment with the Clearwater Threshers, posting a respectable .281/.361/.438 batting line, one home run and four RBI across 36 plate appearances.
Either way, the Phillies are about to get a big boost offensively and defensively. Utley boasts a stellar .894 career OPS and has finished with more than 90 RBI in five of his eight major league seasons.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17