May 22, 2011, 1:47 PM EST
Brignac lost his grandfather Saturday and is expected to miss four games to attend the funeral.
Lopez was designated for assignment in early May then outrighted to Triple-A Durham after batting just .222/.263/.347 with only five extra-base hits in 76 plate appearances. He also drew the ire of Rays manager Joe Maddon at one point for not hustling.
Brignac was named the Rays’ starting shortstop after a strong defensive showing at spring training, but he has hit just .170 with a brutal .370 OPS in 35 games since the start of the regular season. Elliot Johnson has begun seeing much more playing time recently and will fill in at shortstop for however long Brignac needs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)