May 22, 2011, 1:47 PM EST
Brignac lost his grandfather Saturday and is expected to miss four games to attend the funeral.
Lopez was designated for assignment in early May then outrighted to Triple-A Durham after batting just .222/.263/.347 with only five extra-base hits in 76 plate appearances. He also drew the ire of Rays manager Joe Maddon at one point for not hustling.
Brignac was named the Rays’ starting shortstop after a strong defensive showing at spring training, but he has hit just .170 with a brutal .370 OPS in 35 games since the start of the regular season. Elliot Johnson has begun seeing much more playing time recently and will fill in at shortstop for however long Brignac needs.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)