May 22, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT
The Pirates’ most attractive piece in trade talks is already getting some attention, as the Rangers have asked the team about closer Joel Hanrahan, according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
Hanrahan fanned 100 batters in 69 2/3 innings for the Pirates last season, but he seemed intimidated in the closer’s role during his first trial in Washington and he was again shaky after Octavio Dotel was traded last year and he was asked to share save chances with Evan Meek.
This year, though, Hanrahan has thrived as a closer, going 13-for-13 in his save opportunities. His strikeout rate is well down — he’s fanned 16 in 21 2/3 innings — but he’s also cut way back on the walks and he’s allowed just one homer in 21 2/3 innings.
If the Rangers picked up Hanrahan, it would be with the idea of using him as a setup man this year and then potentially making him the closer and moving Neftali Feliz into the rotation next season. Hanrahan is making just $1.4 million and he’s under control through 2013, so his addition wouldn’t be a problem financially.
Of course, that’s also good reason for the Pirates to keep him. If Hanrahan spends all year in the closer’s role, he could get a raise to $5 million or so in 2012. Still, that’s not a major problem for the Pirates, given that they’re not going to spending big on free agents. Hanrahan will fit well into their budget going forward, and they’re not going to be inclined to trade him this year unless their bowled over. The Rangers would likely have to start with top shortstop prospect Jurickson Profar and add from there.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)