May 22, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
Down 3-1 after 6 1/2, the Yankees put together a furious rally in the seventh inning Sunday, scoring eight times on their way to beating the Mets 9-3 and claiming the Subway Series.
The Yankees won the final two games of the series after dropping Friday’s opener 2-1.
Mike Pelfrey‘s inability to field his position cost the Mets in this one. Pelfrey pitched well throughout, but he couldn’t handle Brett Garner’s shot up the middle to start the seventh or Derek Jeter‘s that followed with none out and the bases loaded. Two runs scored on Jeter’s hit, tying the game and getting Pelfrey replaced.
As it turned out, the Yankees were just getting started. After a sac bunt and an intentional walk, Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano delivered singles with the bases loaded. With two outs and the Mets on their fourth pitcher of the inning, Gardner connected on a two-run double and Chris Dickerson had a two-run single, making it 9-3.
Pelfrey ended up getting charged with five runs in six-plus innings, ending his string of quality starts at three. He dropped to 2-3 with a 5.28 ERA in five starts against the Yankees.
Ivan Nova almost hung around long enough to get the win for the Yankees. He allowed three runs in the second, but the Mets kept threatening and coming up empty after that. They had two hits in the third, a hit and a walk before Jose Reyes grounded into a double play in the fourth and then three hits without scoring a run in the sixth. He ended up pitching 6 2/3 innings and allowing 11 hits.
The victory kept the Yankees virtually tied with the Rays for first place in the AL East. They’re 25-20, while the Rays are 26-21.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)