May 22, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
Down 3-1 after 6 1/2, the Yankees put together a furious rally in the seventh inning Sunday, scoring eight times on their way to beating the Mets 9-3 and claiming the Subway Series.
The Yankees won the final two games of the series after dropping Friday’s opener 2-1.
Mike Pelfrey‘s inability to field his position cost the Mets in this one. Pelfrey pitched well throughout, but he couldn’t handle Brett Garner’s shot up the middle to start the seventh or Derek Jeter‘s that followed with none out and the bases loaded. Two runs scored on Jeter’s hit, tying the game and getting Pelfrey replaced.
As it turned out, the Yankees were just getting started. After a sac bunt and an intentional walk, Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano delivered singles with the bases loaded. With two outs and the Mets on their fourth pitcher of the inning, Gardner connected on a two-run double and Chris Dickerson had a two-run single, making it 9-3.
Pelfrey ended up getting charged with five runs in six-plus innings, ending his string of quality starts at three. He dropped to 2-3 with a 5.28 ERA in five starts against the Yankees.
Ivan Nova almost hung around long enough to get the win for the Yankees. He allowed three runs in the second, but the Mets kept threatening and coming up empty after that. They had two hits in the third, a hit and a walk before Jose Reyes grounded into a double play in the fourth and then three hits without scoring a run in the sixth. He ended up pitching 6 2/3 innings and allowing 11 hits.
The victory kept the Yankees virtually tied with the Rays for first place in the AL East. They’re 25-20, while the Rays are 26-21.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 3
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)