A far more interesting Power Rankings than HBT’s

May 23, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT

Pierzynski_A.J.

I think I do at least a serviceable job with the Power Rankings each week, but mine really pale compared to what Grant Bisbee has been doing over at SB Nation. This week: he ranks the teams based on the most annoying player on their roster.  At number one, the White Sox, who employ the roundly-loathed A.J. Pierzynski.  At 30: The Indians, who don’t really have anyone offensive this side of the mascot.

I think the Braves would have ranked higher than 20 a few years ago, but the once-rabid anti-Chipper Jones lobby has gotten really small since he got old and relatively harmless. And as the Mets did too.

1. yankeesfanlen - May 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Most annoying Baseball blogger? Grant Bisbee (can’t be his real name)
    Yankees-everyone
    Eagles song-all of them
    Rather have to put up with Halladaysbiceps and Purdueman than read this @##$$%%!
    Must be a Chevy man.

• Phillies Homer - May 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Ha… I’m sure if he said “Yankees – no one; they are all upstanding citizens”, you’d respect the guy.

Although I do agree with you about the Eagles. I love me some Hotel California… There are plenty of other bands out there that deserve the ripping moreso than the Eagles!

• yankeesfanlen - May 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I can, and do, come up with at least three annoying Yankees at the drop of a hat. People might even guess who. But “Grant Bisbee” sounds like a bubble in a bathtub.

• uyf1950 - May 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM

My friend, you know what struck me as I perused (I always wanted to use that word in a sentence) the list. I was struck by how many of the “annoying” players are in many cases that particular teams best player. Not in all case obviously but many. I take solace in the fact that the “entire” Yankees team made the list. That’s just my opinion.

2. drmonkeyarmy - May 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

That was a good list, rather entertaining. In addition to Pierzysnki the White Sox could have been #1 for that obnoxious Hawk Harrelson character. I can’t watch their games on MLB network thanks to him.

• Lukehart80 - May 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Amen.

3. Phillies Homer - May 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I agree with Hunter Pence! He is just so awkward looking. Those beady eyes and how he just seems like he’s having a seizure whenever he swings the bat.

During a Astros/Phillies game he came to the plate and my girlfriend said, “Who is that guy? I can’t stand looking at him!”

4. b7p19 - May 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I’m glad someone else out there sees the evil that is inside Shane Victorino.

5. professor59 - May 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM

That’s some funny s#%t right there, whether you agree or disagree with his “science”.

6. spudchukar - May 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM

The Brett Tomko categorization is so spot on.

7. Jonny 5 - May 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Shane Victorino built a rec center for kids with his own money. Devil in disguise? Hiding behind the needy? Was anyone aware that he’s from Hawaii? Fox sports told me so. Oh, i get it, Fox news… Everyone from Hawaii is evil. that’s right…

• b7p19 - May 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Thats just like Shane Victorino. Build a rec center to lure all the kids to one place so he can destroy them…

8. sayheykidwschamp - May 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM

The Google/Cody Ross reference was really funny. Grant should do a whole piece on how players rate on Google. Google is, afterall, a direct reflection of our world…well sometimes anyway, and especially when I need it to be so.

I nominate Padilla from the Dodgers as the most hated. With that mug alone…but also for the fact that he is a headhunter…guess his goal is to make everyone as ugly as himself.

Overall, a really funny way to look at powerrankings.

9. kellyb9 - May 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Nothing against Boston, but I get so enraged everytime I see Youkilis’s batting stance… its just strange in a hunter pence sorta way.

• deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM

How about how everyone on the Red Sox because they almost all have that stupid Amish/White Trash patterned facial hair thing going. Pedoria, Lowrie, and Bucholz all look like their mother took a few minutes from watching NASCAR and guzzling PBR to give birth to them in the living room of their single-wide trailer.

10. deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I think Craig was just excited that someone else was bagging on his boy Francoeur for a change. This way it doesn’t seem like such a singular obsession with him.

11. APBA Guy - May 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

The A’s are last again. Can’t they be really good at anything? But I wonder about this Bisbee guy. He must be from NorCal. Otherwise, how does Dallas Braden not make this list?

12. ThatGuy - May 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM

How dare he rip on the Pavanostache…

13. baseballisboring - May 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I got some good laughs. THIS is a power rankings list I can get behind.

14. cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I too find the “Bautista = PEDS” people annoying. However there is a presence on that team that actually qualifies as an annoyance; Corey Ptterson. He never seems comfortable with routine fly balls, is always caught by surprised by balls that either drop or hit the wall when he’s on base, and he sees a stop sign every time he rounds 2nd and heads to 3rd, even if Brian Butterfield is windmilling so hard he’s about to take off. He seems to posses less baseball instinct than a mayfly. That’s annoying.

• curr68 - May 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Sometimes I watch 70’s blaxploitation films and fantasize that Jose Bautista is the pimp and I’m the obedient white girl…

• deathmonkey41 - May 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM

There are probably professionals you could talk to about that…just saying….

• cur68 - May 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Seems little mini-curr there is working himself up to posting something that’s truly offensive. This one’s verging on the racist and the sexist. Mini-curr, I do believe you might want to post an apology . . .

15. sawxalicious - May 24, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Apparently the Mariners got wind of this list coming out and cut bait from Milton Bradley….
    just in time…

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4717)